Search for content in message boards

5th Lincoln Militia, War of 1812, Transcribed Payrolls

Replies: 3

Re: 5th Lincoln Militia, War of 1812, Transcribed Payrolls

Posted: 27 May 2013 2:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Elsey-Elsie
Hi Fred

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately I am in the process of moving and all my files are packed. I tried your email address but it didn't work. I learned about the First Incorporated Militia at the National Archives. What info I got was letters written by the officer re pay and equipment. In the first part Robert Elsie was shown as last name Elsey and about halfway through in was changed to Elsie. He marked his pay records with a X so I assume he could not read. This was around 1840. His company was sent to Niagria falls, Fort Erie and Port Colborne. There are a lot of Elsie's in these areas today. In the 1851 census for Hamilton there was a Elsey family just outside of Hamilton. Other than the pay records I haven't found any other records which when I saw you wrote about early militia units I thought I would give you a try to see if there was somewhere I could look., I understand that there is a museum in Hamilton with records for the various militia units in the area. I am in Ottawa but hopoe to get down to Hamilton to check this out.

Dave
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
FredBlair0 20 Apr 2013 3:59PM GMT 
sutton28 24 May 2013 2:49AM GMT 
FredBlair0 24 May 2013 12:09PM GMT 
sutton28 27 May 2013 8:04PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions