Search for content in message boards

Riki->Rimouski?

Replies: 1

Riki->Rimouski?

Posted: 21 Jul 2010 6:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Voyer
Hello fellow genealogists,

In a genealogy of the VOYER family, written prior to 1981, and going back to 1683 when the first child of our immigrant ancestor was born at Lorette, I keep running across confusing references to birth and marriage places, as:
Bic
Bic Riki
S-Donat Riki
S-Fabien Riki
Riki
S-Flavie Riki
Sacre-Coeur Riki
S-Valerien Riki
and sometimes, just:
S-Fabien, S-Valerien - without Riki
so far, never just Rimouski, tho it appears in other contexts.

My Questions:
1) Is Riki a shortened version of Rimouski?
2) Are these names of places...... of towns..... of parishes...??? (I think there are some of each.)

I've read that the two early parishes in Rimouski (County?) were St. Germaine and Ste. Cecile de Bic. I know that one doing genealogical research should never assume anything.... but I'm tempted to assume that references to Bic refer to Ste. Cecile de Bic as opposed to Le Bic, the town ten miles south of Rimouski. I am obviously having trouble distinguishing between town names and parish names.

My goal is just to get family groups "placed". The Gaspe Peninsula seems to be dominating at this point in my work, but I know many were also from Lac St. Jean, east and west, and south of there.

Can anyone help me with the place/church names? Any help will be immensely appreciated!

Thank you,
Patricia Cote Grogg
Surnames: Cote, Patry, Voyer, Rioux..... and on and on
patgrogg@gmail.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
patgrogg 22 Jul 2010 12:01AM GMT 
midesjardins 10 Apr 2011 11:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions