Search for content in message boards

Gilwee Mullin of West Farham

Replies: 0

Gilwee Mullin of West Farham

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 7:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilwee, Mullin
I am trying to find records on the Gilwee family (John and Margaret (Mullin) Gilwee) who came to Quebec from Ireland around 1825. The name has several variations from Gilwce, Gilwer, Kilwee and Gilwie due to transcription difficulties as well as likely name spelling changes. They are said to come from Sligo, Ireland, but I find no Gilwees at all in Ireland, so I am convinced the name was different before their arrival. I am not sure where the Sligo reference came from and it is possible they originated in some other area of Ireland.

I have found records of Margaret in West Farnham/Farnham Township in 1861, 1871, and 1881 with John being deceased at the time all of those records. I have been unable to find much else, I have two records of a burial that seemed to relate to John, but one is from 1847 and one is from 1878. What's perplexing is that the one from 1878 seems more relevant because it mentions Farnham, and Margaret Mullin, but it is many years after he supposedly died. They had several children, the first, William being born in Ireland, and the other, Sarah, Margaret, John and James being born in Quebec, specifically in Farnham I believe. James is my G-G Grandfather.
A few more things I know, William married Mary Coffee and had their first child (also William) in Quebec; Margaret married a man called Jeremiah Shea in Quebec.

I believe they may have been farmers but I am not sure. My questions are, What was their original name and where did they come from? What happened to John? When did he die and what is the record from 1878 pertaining to? When/where did Margaret die and where might she have been buried. I would give anything to find a picture of any of them, but feel that is a long shot. Thank you so much for sharing if you have any knowledge of them.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Patty Harrington

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions