On page 217
"Stanhope had two schools in the early days, one near the corner of the Baldwin Mills Road and the other halfway down Routhier's Hill [Rt. 147]. In 1903 the Convent opened for day and boarding pupils. St. Suzanne's parochial school was built in 1962 and was sold after a few years to the Bolduc Brothers, custom brokers.
The parish of St. Suzanne de Stanhope celebrated its centennial in 1960 having been opened as a mission in 1860 by the missionaries in Compton. It was George Brown who opened this mission "Boundary Line" in 1860. Tradition has it that the first mass was celebrated on the 8th of December 1860 in the house of Richard Drew. Later this house belongs to a Mrs. Dyer and is maybe the oldest in Stanhope. Now Leopole Laroche owns it. In 1860 there were one dozen Catholic families in Stanhope Village.
It was in 1866 that Father Chartier built a rectory and a chapel was erected the same year. In 1875 the present rectory was built. This first Ste. Suzanne's Church, [chapel] 1866 was a wooden building close to the road north of the present rectory. It was clap boarded with a small steeple on the front. The bell which hung in the belfry is the one used in the present church. The old church was a story high and quite long. The bell was rung at 6 a.m. noon, and 6 p.m. Father Alphonse Gavel celebrated the first mass in the church on Jan. 20, 1867 with a congregation from Barford and Barnston townships and Norton. the church lot was a big one extending through the cemetery, through a pasture, down to the river and over to St. Paul's church line.
Transcribed by Jan Jordan
Source is "THREE TOWNS: Norton & Averill, Vermont, Stanhope, Quebec" Chapter 13 Stanhope by Lydia C. Andrews, ©1986.