Search for content in message boards

Conversos in Colonial French Canada

Replies: 12

Re: Conversos in Colonial French Canada

Posted: 5 May 2013 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Galipo, Galipeau, Gilbo, Guilbeault, Marchant
Thanks for the invitation to join the Sephardic Forum. I will definitely look into doing that to see what we can contribute and what we can learn further about family derivations.

Interesting that you noted the additional Middle Eastern connections. When we had some of the family complete DNA tests through the Family Tree DNA group, it came back as 87 % West European and 13 % Middle Eastern. The ME group was further attributed to Jewish, Palestinian, Bedouin South, and Mozabite. We weren't surprised by the Jewish connection but were by the others.

We do have one artifact that has come down to us from that side of the family. It is a tapestry with a 12-pointed star in the middle and various geometrical designs that surround it. On each of the four sides there is a saying that repeats itself but is written in a script that we've not been able to identify. I'd be willing to forward you a jpg image it you would like to see if you recognize the design and/or script.

Best wishes,

Tomel
Tom Lanagan
Email: tc49@verizon.net
Family names of interest on this topic: Galipo, Galipeau, Gilbo, Guilbeault, Marchant
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
daciodan 3 Feb 2013 9:37PM GMT 
tisheysman61 3 May 2013 4:35AM GMT 
tomel 5 May 2013 9:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions