Search for content in message boards

Hicks, Brueafey, Bonenfant, Roy, Stockdale families Lacolle Quebec & Perry's Mills N.Y., Clinton New York

Replies: 7

Re: Hicks, Bonenfant, Roy, Stockdale families Lacolle Quebec & Perry's Mills N.Y., Clinton New York

Posted: 10 Feb 2013 9:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2013 10:43AM GMT
It may be possible that while Anthony Hicks was born in Canada, he wasn't "French" Canadian (at least his paternal line), "Hicks" is not a French surname. I suspect wife #1 was not FC either. They may have also been non-Catholic, and the reason there are no records in the Drouin, there are scant non-Catholic records pre-1840.

Wife #2 may have been a Catholic, but they may have not married or baptized their children in the Catholic Church.

I think the first 3 children, Fidelia, Helen, Clarinda, may all have been of the first marriage. I would estimate the 2nd marriage occurred around late 1841.

This is not an easy search, you can't rely on "hits" from Ancestry. The bap data from the time in NY State should be found, and that's not going to be easy, NY State data is, for the most part, not on-line. Search in the card catalog on familysearch.org, for films/fiche of non-Catholic churches in Clinton, NY. You can read on the site about how to order film and find a family history center near you.

I had a look at your tree, census data can only take you far, it's great for roughing out a family and pinpointing where to look for the hard data.

Females should be entered into your tree by their maiden name only.

I had a look at the death cert (seekmichigan.org) for Clarinda/Clara (Hicks) Vivier, d 1912. That death cert identifies her parents as Joseph Hicks and Maude Fairchild.

You may not have the correct data for the Clarinda, it's hard to tell when data is copied from other trees. Never copy unverified data into your tree.

Why do you think these lines are from Lacolle? I haven't seen any evidence that identifies that specific location.

Knowing/learning the faith ancestors practiced and locations are very important components to researching genealogy effectively.

I suggest you slow your search down, stay in a generation that you can find documentation with relative ease, and collect a lot of it. You're going to learn a good deal about the ancestors as well as prepare your skill sets that you'll need for more advanced searches.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bedandbowl 6 Feb 2013 6:40PM GMT 
movaliq 8 Feb 2013 2:44PM GMT 
movaliq 8 Feb 2013 2:45PM GMT 
bedandbowl 8 Feb 2013 3:39PM GMT 
bedandbowl 10 Feb 2013 1:58PM GMT 
daciodan 10 Feb 2013 4:51PM GMT 
bedandbowl 11 Feb 2013 7:44PM GMT 
bedandbowl 1 Jul 2013 3:02PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic