Search for content in message boards

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Quebec City

Replies: 1

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Quebec City

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 9:33AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cohoon, Colquhoun
Hello Everyone: I am trying to locate the birth of my 3rd great grandfather which is stated as Ireland, Scotland or Quebec depending on which record I rely. But first I need to figure out where he lived in Quebec.

I first find him by the birth and deaths records of his children and first wife from from 1837 to 1849 in the St. Andrew's Prebyterian Church records in Quebec City. These records simply give his residence as "of this parish". His last name varies between Cohoon, Colquhoun and Cahoon in church records. My 3rd great grandmother appears to have been a McArty but can't be sure this is correct.

In 1849 he marries for the second time at St. Paul's Anglican Church and his residence is recorded as "Wolfe's Cove district of Quebec."

The 1851 census put him and his family in sub-district number 294, sub-district Notre Dame, district number 22, district Quebec County, Canada East.

Bas Canada is stated as the birth location for his children. His wife is Catholic and he and his children are Protestant.

I understand that St. Andrew's was located in "Upper Town" Quebec City and that my ancestor probably lived in "Lower Town" Quebec City.

Is Wolfe's Cove located in "Lower Town" Quebec City? Is this in the Eastern Townships?

This may be all matter of fact but I can't seem to put it together for myself. Can someone let me know if I am looking in pre 1851 Quebec, Upper or Lower Towns or Wofle's Cove or elsewhere?

Thanks for your time.

Patti-Ann

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Patti-Ann Tan... 2 Apr 2013 3:33PM GMT 
pmpilon 3 Apr 2013 12:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic