My great-great-great-grandfather, Thomas WALLACE was born near Mullingar around 1800. According to the WALLACE Family Bible on 25 Nov 1825 Thomas WALLACE married Esther HAGERTY at the Pastoral house in Miliskar(sp?) in County Westmeath, Ireland. The Bible states Esther’s parents were “Andrew & Helen HAGERTY”, no mention of Thomas’ parents, although we found a letter dated 1874 from a brother, John, who had settled in Brooklyn, New York. Thomas is said to be from Coolnahay, and Esther from Milltown Pass in County Westmeath. Thomas & Esther fled to Canada after Thomas had a run-in with a British soldier (according to family legend), as far as I can tell it wasn’t long after their marriage. Around 1844 this family moved to Troy, New York, then settled finally in Joliet, Illinois before Oct 1849. Grandpa WALLACE helped boats from Chicago to the Illinois River, and had his own boat(s). His son Bernard carried on with captaining boats up and down the river that ran through Joliet, and at least one of Bernard’s sons was also a captain. According to Elizabeth WALLACE’s obituary Thomas also had something to do with helping to contain a small pox outbreak in Joliet in the mid-1800s. Grandma Esther died 07 Aug 1879 in Joliet, Illinois. Grandpa Thomas died 26 Feb 1887 in Joliet, Illinois.
Thomas & Esther had 15 children (birthdates are from the Family Bible and records, if found – places are from records):
1. William b. 25 Oct 1826 in either Ireland or in Quebec; d. 2 Sep 1827 in Quebec City.
2. Christopher b. 26 Dec 1827 in Quebec?; d. 22 Aug 1828 in Quebec City.
3. Thomas Andrew b. 23 Apr 1829 in Co. Westmeath, Ireland.
4. John Baptist b. 09 May 1831 in Chambly, Quebec. I think he married a “Mary” and had a son named John, but have been unable to confirm with records.
5. Bernard William b. 22 Jan 1833 in Chambly, Quebec; d. 10 Mar 1887 in Joliet, Illinois. Married Catherine WELSH (or WALSH) 26 Jun 1857 and had six children in Joliet.
6. Mary Anne b. 05 Aug 1834 in Chambly, Quebec; d. 15 Sep 1834 in Chambly, Quebec.
7. Lawrence b. 11 Aug 1835 in Chambly, Quebec; d. 28 Dec 1836 in Chambly, Quebec.
8. Mary Helen b. 02 Oct 1837 in Chambly, Quebec.
9. Patrick Searchfield b. 13 May 1839 in Bedford, Quebec; d. 28 Dec 1906 in Joliet, Illinois. Married Julienne DeLAUNAY in 1867, and they had three children in Joliet.
10. Mary Jane b. 09 Apr 1841 in Beford, Quebec.
11. Peter Hagerty b. 29 Jun 1843 in Bedford, Quebec; d. 11 Mar 1922 in Ashkum, Illinois. Married Mary DONOVAN 23 Apr 1869 in Joliet and had seven children in Danforth, Illinois.
12. Andrew Jackson b. 11 Apr 1845 in Troy, New York.
13. James Henry b. 31 Aug 1846 in Troy, New York.
14. Elizabeth b. 03 Jan 1848 in Troy, New York; d. 10 Mar 1926 in Joliet, Illinois. She was one of the first night telephone operators in Joliet.
15. Mary Ann b. 17 Oct 1849 in Joliet, Illinois. Married William George COLBERT 02 May 1871 in Joliet and had six children in Joliet, Missouri & North Dakota.
I would love to hear from anyone who is related to this family.