Charles Darabi m. Josephte Brunet 26th Jan 1801 - OKA

Replies: 1

Re: Charles Darabi m. Josephte Brunet 26th Jan 1801 - OKA

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 6:47AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Edited: 31 Mar 2013 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Darabi/Laraby/Larabie
Hello Andrew
It is difficult to prove native ancestry through church documentation as it was policy of the catholic church to extinguish native identies. My name is Michael and am a direct descendant of Charles Darabi/Daraby/Laraby/Guillaume.In Drouin on the side column is the variations of the names he went by including sanachaggia which is Mic-mac for Squinty eyed warrior. you will find that he fought in the war of 1812 and you can read about it in the canadian gazette or the american version of the story of Tecumseh. In the military records after the Battle of Thames he served in Kingston as a canon operator. As for Marie Blain she is the step-mother of Josephte Brunet/Brinet/Bisset whose mother was Marie Raphaelle Lauzon whose father was Michel Lauzon and mother Marie Anne Boileau Coitu. I spent many hours at National Archives in Ottawa checking documents besides church records and i can say that marriage records will rarely identify any first nations marriages especially if they are mixed blood. I have had DNA testing and can say that there is definitely native ancestry in the Larabie/Laraby/Daraby line but have fun trying to prove it the conventional way. The state (Canadian Government), the Church (RC) and cultural prejudices forced first nations people who did not want to live on reserves to hide their true heritage and become "French". As for Louis Alexis Guillaume ou Daraby, he married Marguerite Richer daughter of Jean Baptiste Richer dit Louveteau.Good Luck. Marie Blain is not her mother but her aunt or step-mother or aunt.
There is a possibility that marie rapheal lauzon whose grandmother was Marie Archambault. Many disagree about wether Jacques Archambault who married Francoise Toureault had wedded her in france or in new france. According to the
Jesuit relations Jacques may have been in the New World prior to the conventional arrival date most sites give. In the Jesuit Relations most of their childred were born and baptised in New France. The Garneau Metis Families History plays upon this discrempency and list Marie Archambault as
Metis.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
andrewjas 11 Jun 2012 6:25AM GMT 
JeannineEdwar... 18 Feb 2013 1:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic