Search for content in message boards

Harvey, McKenzie & Cameron>St. Anicet, Huntingdon

Replies: 0

Harvey, McKenzie & Cameron>St. Anicet, Huntingdon

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 12:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harvey, McKenzie, Cameron, McDonald, Render, Millar, Clark, Orr
I am researching the family of Roderick McKenzie and Lilly Cameron of Ormstown, Godmanchester and St. Anicet (on record between 1845-1861). Several HARVEY family members played a prominent role in the lives of the McKenzie children and I am exploring if they might have been related.

As such, I have reviewed the following records and placed them in chronological order:

In 1849, Donald Cameron MCKENZIE, son of Roderick MCKENZIE and Lily CAMERON, was baptized in Dundee. One DAVID HARVEY was a witness.

In 1850, Alexander MCKENZIE, another son of Roderick McKenzie and Lily CAMERON was baptized in Dundee and a DAVID HARVEY was a witness.

The David Harvey of these first two records, I believe, was married to Catherine CLARK, daughter of Samuel CLARK & Jane MILLAR.

In the 1851 Agricultural Schedule for St. Anicet, Roderick MCKENZIE and Lily CAMERON were enumerated 2 households away from a JOHN HARVEY (b. 1781) and 9 households away from a DAVID HARVEY (All living on Range 2, Part 1). In the regular census for 1851, Roderick McKenzie is listed as Robert McIntire, but this was an error by the census taker. It is actually Roderick McKenzie and family. (I can not read a surname for John Harvey's wife, but The Gleaner Extracts of 1875 lists a JANET ORR, wife of John Harvey, who died that year at La Guerre).

By 1861, Lilly and Roderick are not to be found in St. Anicet. Lilly Cameron is presumed dead. Her husband, Roderick McKenzie, was either deceased or perhaps had to work and therefore farmed the children out to relatives or neighboring families.

In that census year, two of the McKenzie children, Catherine and John, were found living with the family of ROBERT HARVEY & wife, ISABELLA MCDONALD. Robert may be the son of JOHN HARVEY & Janet, who were listed next door.

In the same year, a third child of Roderick McKenzie and Lily Cameron, DONALD/DANIEL "Dan" MCKENZIE, was living with ALEXANDER MCDONALD and his wife, AGNES HARVEY. (MY LINE).

These three McKenzie children appeared to be living in 1861 with various members of the John Harvey and Janet Orr family, presuming that I have identified David, Agnes and Robert Harvey correctly as children of this family.

Also, I do not recall the date, but Roderick McKenzie additionally witnessed the baptism of at least one Harvey child.

Some of the family members must have kept in touch. I found a newspaper article from Antwerp, Jefferson Co., NY stating that ANDREW WALLACE HARVEY, a son of ROBERT HARVEY and ISABELLA MCDONALD, had attended the wedding of Catherine McKenzie's daughter, Kate, in New York. This was in the year 1908. (Catherine McKenzie, one of the children of Roderick McKenzie and Lilly Cameron, went to New York to seek work between the 1861 and the 1871 censuses. In 1879, she married Jonathan Render, a well-to-do dairy farmer of Jefferson County. Isabella McDonald, who had essentially been Catherine McKenzie's adopted mother, died in 1876, when Andrew Wallace Harvey was just 11 years old. Catherine and Wallace probably lived together for a number of years when he was a child. Wallace came to New York in 1885, primarily living in Antwerp, Jefferson County, until his death in 1931 (except the 1920 census shows him with wife and son in Lewis Co., NY). Did Wallace come to Antwerp because of his connection to Catherine McKenzie Render? In the 1910 census, he was listed as working on a dairy farm.

Interestingly, Robert Harvey and Isabella McDonald named their last child LILY AGNES HARVEY (keeping in mind that the McKenzie children's mother was Lily Cameron...this is not an extremely common name in the records).

I would love to know if anyone has seen the McKenzie name come up in or near Harvey records or if their could be intermarriages between the two families.

One question I have is the significance of the witnesses on baptismal records. When someone served as a witness, did it typically mean they were related to the family or could they just be a random neighbor who was kind enough to sign their name? I am wondering if the witnesses were essentially God parents?

I appreciate any info.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions