Search for content in message boards

Alphonsine Gregory of St. Antoine-Abbe

Replies: 25

Re: Joseph Beauvais

Kathleen A. McKenna (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2002 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Mark, your man sounds as if he may have been performing with Wild Bill Hickock (1837-1876). Maybe you would be able to find something on Jos. if you would find some biography books on Wild Bill.
It is a big problem when you look for anyone named Joseph or Marie because when a Roman catholic children were baptized all the boys got the name Joseph and all the girls got the name Marie. Sometime the name is combined with another name like Marie-Louise or Joseph-William. So your Joseph could have been known by that name in some places and by another name when he crossed the border into Canada.
I am looking for a Joseph Beauvais myself, he was my gr-grandmother's grandfather. His daughter was Zoe Beauvais but I cannot find anything passed Joseph.
As you know, if Joseph was Indian, he could cross the U.S./Canadian borders and if he was part of the "Five Indian Nations" his territory could have been all along the Great Lakes and the St-Laurent river. I'm telling you this to show you how difficult it can be to trace the Indian lineage.
I have a few Indian names with their Indian as well as European names and I will send you a list as soon as I find it. I found them in the marriage book of Sault St-Louis in Laprairie, P.Q. There are a lot of Indians named Beauvais in the Caughnawaga reservation near Montreal.
So I will you for now and go look for that list and get to you later.
Kathleen - KMcKe71111@msn.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tina E. Morin 5 May 2002 12:40PM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 3:22PM GMT 
MLeckie3135 30 Jul 2002 12:40AM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 30 Jul 2002 3:05PM GMT 
genevieve3287... 31 Jul 2003 12:45AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:13AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:16AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:17AM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 3:44PM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 4:09PM GMT