Search for content in message boards

Alphonsine Gregory of St. Antoine-Abbe

Replies: 24

Re: Joseph Beauvais

Kathleen A. McKenna (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2002 9:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Tina, The reason why I was researching the name Beauvais is that my great-grandmother's mother was Zoe Elizabeth, (or maybe Elizabeth Zoe) Beauvais and she married John Asselin. My gr-grandmother was from the tribe of the Mohawk indians and she came from St-Regis Falls in New York. I don't know if you know this but the tribes were headed by the women and I guess that this must be why my gr-grandmother was know as being Indian rather than French. I don't know if the information that you are seeking is on line. I found a lot of what I have, at the American French Genealogy Society, here in Woonsocket.
I will tell you what the tradition sais about the origine of this Indian family. This was reported by a Mgr Forbes and a priest name Father Bechard, s.j. I will translate it the way it is reported (It's in French.)
BEAUVAIS Andre Karhaton, married before 1743, to Marie-Anne Kakenratas, would have been, according to tradition, a young child of the Beauvais family of La Prairie, kidnapped from his parents and raised in the Amerindian manner. He had a nombrous descendance.
Again, notice that what made his children Indian was that their mother was Indian.
I found this information in a book about the parishoners of Sault-Saint-Louis, in Quebec, This is near the Indian Reserve Caughnawaga, near Montreal, the name has been changed I think to Ketnawaga or something like that.
I made copies of the Beauvais that I found in that book. I have 2 Joseph Beauvais with their Indian names. One is Joseph BEAUVAIS son of Noe BEAUVAIS and Mary DANAY married to Sara Mc Comber daughter of Angus Mc Comber and Anne Lawrence on 24 Sep 1946.
The other Joseph is: BEAUVAIS-KENTARATIRON Joseph son of Francois-Xavier and Emilie VINCENT-KARONHIENHAWE. married to Amilda BOUDRIAS daughter of Antoine and Mathilda Bourget, on the 19 of May 1922. This list is under the husband's name and I also have some Beauvais under the wife's maiden name.
Tina, you know my E-mail address, if you give me yours I will be able to tell you more and if I find anything more I could let you know. this board cannot get such long messages.
Kathleen
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Tina E. Morin 5 May 2002 12:40PM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 3:22PM GMT 
MLeckie3135 30 Jul 2002 12:40AM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 30 Jul 2002 3:05PM GMT 
genevieve3287... 31 Jul 2003 12:45AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:13AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:16AM GMT 
lynnbeauvais1... 8 Feb 2013 8:17AM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 3:44PM GMT 
Kathleen A. McKenna 5 May 2002 4:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions