Search for content in message boards

WIEMER: em. 1854 Gamshurst, Baden > Montréal, Canada

Replies: 1

WIEMER: em. 1854 Gamshurst, Baden > Montréal, Canada

Posted: 24 Jun 2003 7:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WIEMER, METZINGER, MAYER, STEINBACH, STEGNER, HERRMANN
I am researching descendants of Wendelin WIEMER (1806-1843) and Symphorosa METZINGER (1807-?), from Gamshurst, Baden. By 1854, Symphorosa was a widow and emigrated at that time to the United States with six minor children, their passage being financed by the community.

I've recently learned that the batch of Gamshurst residents who emigrated on 9 August, 1854, may have first landed in Montreal. At least three of Symphorosa's children moved to Ohio, settling in Steubenville and, later, Carroll Co. and Cincinnati.

The WIEMER daughters were

Dominika (1830-?)
Monika Marie (1834-1902)
Juliana (1837-?)
Maria Franziska (1839-?)
Elisabeth (1841-1878)

along with a son, Fabian (1843-1881).

Of these, I have been able to locate only Monika, Elisabeth, and Fabian once they arrived in America. Monika married Francis STEINBACH and settled in Carroll Co., Ohio, after living for a time in Steubenville, Ohio; Elisabeth married Leo MAYER and settled in the Cincinnati, Ohio/Dayton, Kentucky area; and Fabian married Marie STEGNER and settled in Cincinnati.

In addition, a daughter Helena (1832-?) emigrated in 1851, in the company of a young bachelor from Ottersweier, one Anton HERRMANN. They arrived at the port of New Orleans, but I find no sign of them after that.

Also, there was a son, Theodor (1830-1854), whom the Gamshurst church records note as having died in America. Again, no hint as to the location.

If you recognise any of these people, please respond here or by e-mail using the address in my profile.

Thanks,
Mike
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mschwitz 24 Jun 2003 1:40PM GMT 
pamelamatthew... 20 May 2013 9:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic