Search for content in message boards

Thurso, Quebec

Replies: 8

Re: John Wellman Campbell b. 1894 Gore, Lochaber Township, Thurso

Posted: 1 Aug 2012 9:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm pretty sure Barbara McKenzie McCormick was not the daughter of George McKenzie...

My great-great-grandmother was Barbara McKenzie born to Donald McKenzie and Isabella McKenzie on January 28, 1827 in East Helmsdale, Loth Parish, Sutherland, Scotland. People keep listing her parents as George McKenzie and Elspat Grant or Ann Sutherland but this is wrong as she is in the birth index (all below) of Scotland to the parents I've named. Barbara McKenzie married Michael McCormick in Thurso, Lochaber, Ottawa, Quebec and her great-grandson wrote a book and says "Barbara used to wait for her father by a river and one night she waited in vain as it seems his canoe overturned and he drowned." Donald McKenzie did in fact drown in North Nation River when Barbara was 18 years old and his inscript says "Donald McKenzie - Native of Ross Shire Scotland - drowned crossing the Nation River; aged 46 yrs" If you notice Barbara McKenzie was baptized in Cromarty, Ross and Cromarty, Scotland where Donald McKenzie and Isabella Sutherland still seem to be in Rogart Scotland in the 1860s both alive as far as I can tell. ... and Robert S. McKenzie was born May 22, 1843 in Lochaber, Quebec always living with his mother Isabella and right next door to Barbara McKenzie McCormick... he marries Elizabeth McDonald in 1866 and then she dies in 1912. Robert S. McKenzie moves to Ohio where he marries Hattie C. Farr and on their marriage registration he lists his parents as Donald McKenzie and Isabella McKenzie separately where Hattie lists her parents as George Farr and Emily M. Howard separately.

Groom's Name: Donald Mackenzie
Bride's Name: Bell Mackenzie
Marriage Date: 15 May 1827
Marriage Place: Loth,Sutherland,Scotland
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M11054-2
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 990575
Reference Number:

Name: Barbara Mckenzie
Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Jul 1827
Baptism/Christening Place: CROMARTY,ROSS AND CROMARTY,SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 28 Jan 1827
Birthplace: Loth, Sutherland, Scotland
Father's Name: Donald Mckenzie
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Isabella Mckenzie
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11061-4
System Origin: Scotland-ODM
Source Film Number: 990579
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
SherryTripp 7 Dec 2001 3:43PM GMT 
JoAnnCummings... 24 Jul 2003 5:42PM GMT 
Jacques Decarie 25 Jul 2003 3:31PM GMT 
Barry Ashby 28 Feb 2004 7:19PM GMT 
alreadydid3 30 May 2004 8:38AM GMT 
Barry Ashby 30 May 2004 9:30PM GMT 
alreadydid3 30 May 2004 9:49PM GMT 
alreadydid3 30 May 2004 9:53PM GMT 
alreadydid3 1 Aug 2012 3:15PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions