Search for content in message boards

wood

Replies: 1
Posted: 21 Jul 2010 5:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood
I presume, based on your other posts, that you are looking for information about the parents of Margaret Wood who married William Andrew Beecher. Margaret is 37 years old on the 1880 St Johnsbury, VT census, giving her a birth year of about 1843. William and Margaret Beecher are living in Brighton, Essex County, VT on the 1870 census (attached.)Note that this family was erroneously indexed as "Bacher." Notice that Lewis and Mary Wood are on the same page, on line 16 and 17. Lewis Wood is 73 - born about 1797. Also notice the continuation of the Beecher family on the next page -four more older children, who are half-siblings of Ada, Willie and Maria. (I'll send you a separate message on that family.)
Working backward chronologically: on the 1860 census for Brighton, Essex County, VT, we find Lewis Wood, b 1797, his wife Mary, and their daughter Margarett Wood, age 17 (born 1843).All born in Canada.

On the 1850 census for Berlin, Washington County, VT, we find Lewis and Mary Wood and daughter Margrett, age 8 (born 1842-43) All born in Canada. Margrett has four older siblings: William Wood, age 20 (1830), Theodore Wood, 19 (1831-32), Mary A. Wood, 16 (b. abt. 1834) and Isaac Wood, age 12 (b. 1838). All born in Canada.

By 1860, Isaac is married to Margrett Madigan and living in Brighton, Essex, VT. Isaac Wood fought briefly in the Civil War (union army) 5th Vermont Infantry. By 1870, Isaac Wood, b 1837-38, is living in Bloomfield, Essex, VT with wife Margrett and 3 daughters: Eliza, Mary J and Maybell. In 1880, the same family, with the addition of daughter Catherine, is still living in Bloomfield.
By 1900, Isaac is widowed, still living in Bloomfield. Birth listed as Oct 1837, Canada. Father b. Canada (Fr.), mother born Canada (Engl), immigrated 1846. Naturalized citizen.
The listing of the death of Isaac Wood on FamilySearch Vermotn Deaths and Burials is as follows:
Isaac Woods, Male, age 69 (birth 1838). Birthplace is blank. Date of death: 7 May 1907, Bloomfield, VT.
Father's Name Louis Woods
Mother's name Mary Breathwhite

The above does not prove conclusively that your Margaret Wood is the sister of Isaac, and therefore the daughter of Louis Wood and Mary Breathwhite, but all the dates match from one census to another, except that the ages of Louis and Mary fluctuate. I have not been able to find birth records for any of the children of Lewis and Mary Wood.

If Isaac's father (and presumably Margaret's father) was french-Canadian, then there is a possibility that the name was not originally Wood at all, but Dubois, or Boisvert, or Charlebois, or some other name with "bois" (i.e. "wood") in it. If I find anything else more conclusive, I'll let you know.

MR

P.S. There is a Theodore Wood of about the right age from Washington County, VT who served in Company D, 2nd Vermont Infantry during the Civil War. He was killed on 5 May 1864 at Wilderness, VA. I'm not positive that this Theodore is the brother of your Margaret. If I find anything else, I'll let you know.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stacyrolfe 19 Mar 2010 7:42AM GMT 
treefind4fun 21 Jul 2010 11:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions