Search for content in message boards

Burnell Family: Tramping Lake Area: Scott & Revenue

Replies: 12

Re: Burnell Family: Tramping Lake Area: Scott & Revenue

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 10:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Apr 2012 12:25PM GMT
Rutland was the name of the subdivision in Kelowna, B.C. (where Ed had his house with his 2nd family) there was also a Rutland, Sask where Ed and his son Albert (and possibly Ed's oldest son Jack as well, when they had their own farms) got their mail and delivered their grain.

there was a train station there also. Today, its basically gone (maybe 2 houses) but back in "the day".....it was a thriving little town with 2-3 stores, school, railway station,3 elevators, pool hall & dance hall, lumber yard outdoor skating rink and post office (this comes from my cousin, dtr of Albert Burnell, who grew up in Unity).

The town had shrunk considerably when she was growing up there to...... 1 store, school, RR stn. She went to parties and dances, xmas parties and once to a magic show at the hall. She got her first soft drink and candy there when her parents got their mail and groceries. She even took the train from there into Unity to visit her maternal grandmother there.

Rutland in BC now just called Kelowna, BC......the entire second family of Edward and Eliz moved there when their youngest son Brian was still in middle or high school......Elizabeth was buried in Unity, Edward married his second wife Elsie Hartley in Unity and their 5 children were born there on the family farm. When Ed and Elizabeth first settled, they lived in a sod hut and then a small cabin which was added to later with a top story and a back kitchen.

There is a huge number of family members from Edward and Elsie (his 2nd wife) living in the Kelowna area. Of Edwards' first 4 children - Ken and Ruth went to Ontario, Jack and Albert farmed in Unity for some time and raised their families there. Albert died in his 50's of lung cancer in Unity and his wife Laurene lived there til her death about 5 years ago with her 2nd husband Lorne Swarbrick. Jack sold his farm and he and his wife Nellie moved near Edmonton where they both died. Their 2 dtrs and their families now live in Edmonton but their son Marvin and his family still live in Unity.

I'd like to know what branch of the family you are connected with.....I see your "tree" has a lot more info on Edwards parents and grandparents than I have......nice to know.....Claire
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
burnellh_1 22 Oct 2011 8:48PM GMT 
japeterson158 24 Oct 2011 4:15AM GMT 
burnellh_1 24 Oct 2011 5:24AM GMT 
japeterson158 25 Oct 2011 4:53AM GMT 
burnellh_1 25 Oct 2011 11:48PM GMT 
cgourlie62 13 Apr 2012 4:23AM GMT 
cgourlie62 13 Apr 2012 4:30AM GMT 
cgourlie62 13 Apr 2012 4:33AM GMT 
cgourlie62 28 Apr 2012 6:05PM GMT 
burnellh_1 29 Apr 2012 4:11AM GMT 
per page