Fosston area immigrants

Replies: 4

Re: Fosston area immigrants

stacey (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2005 11:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 Oct 2005 6:40AM GMT
Surnames: Zazula, Nycholat, Nicholet, Maryniak
Hi Ian - I've tried searching the Ellis Island website without any luck on my own family but did find information for the Plaksy family - even though it wasn't my family it was family of a cousin by marriage - so it was fairly exciting to have succeeded a little.
I see you have Nycholat/Nicholat in your list of surnames. I have Nycholats in my line as well, and while we know we are related we don't know the "connection". One of these days....
If you are aware of the John Nicholet that most recently lived in Love and Nipawin, Sask. and passed away last year - he is in my line. And that includes Mike Nycholat of Love, Sk. and the Nycholats of the Fosston area.
My other family is Zazula (brothers Fred and Dan - came to Canada in 1907 and 1910 - settled in the BBA district west of Fosston) (and George's daughter Annie Chmarney that came to Canada in 1930's - the connection to that family is not clear either) and my grandmother's maiden name was Maryniak - but I don't know if any of her siblings came to Canada.
All these families came from the Bobulince & Ossowice area as well.
Have you done any research of the birth/baptismal records for these communities through the Family History Library (Salt Lake City)? A contact that I have in Ontario has indicated that these records weren't available as of about a year ago. I'm very anxious to have these records researched so that I can make the "connection" to the Nycholats, Maryniaks, and other Zazula families (there are many of them as you probably are aware).
Hoping you have some insight to share.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ian Chaykowski 25 Oct 2005 6:02PM GMT 
stacey 29 Oct 2005 5:23AM GMT 
Maryniak70 6 Nov 2012 3:34AM GMT 
sarahnickolet 17 Nov 2013 3:34AM GMT 
japeterson158 17 Nov 2013 9:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic