Search for content in message boards

Stricker and Hilderman in Leader, Saskatchewan

Replies: 1

Re: Stricker and Hilderman in Leader, Saskatchewan

Posted: 19 Jul 2012 6:19AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STRICKER, SADER, HAUN, FREY, KILTAU, KRAUS, TODD, KRAUSHER, LUST
the info you refer to in Pages of the Past, pg 417:
Paragraphs submitted by Mrs. Freida Frey, granddaughter, based on her memories of the family.

The Henry Stricker Family

Henry Stricker was born in Russia in 1856. Mary Elizabeth (Sader) Stricker was born in Russia also in 1856. They came to Canada in 1905, landing in Montreal and coming west to Winnipeg and then a few years later to the Cypress Hills area in Southern Saskatchewan and Alberta. When they came to Leader it was still called Prussia. Many families settled or homesteaded just west of Leader in the sandhills, close to the river banks. Later the Stricker family bought land Southwest of Leader, about 7 miles or so.

Their family consisted of:
Charlotte (or Lotty as she was known) who later became Mrs. Henry Kiltau.
Alex Stricker - later moved to Portland, Oregon.
Fred Stricker - also moved to Portland.
Mary - who became Mrs. Henry Kraus.
Of the above families, all are deceased except Mrs. Mary Kraus who presently resides in the Garden Apartments in Medicine Hat.

Henry Stricker passed away in Medicine Hat where he and his wife had retired to in the late 1920's. His wife, Mary Elizabeth, passed away in 1945 in Leader where she lived with her daughter and son-in-law, Mary and Henry Kraus. As for Charlotte, Alex, and Fred Stricker, they passed away in the 1950's, I believe, in Portland, Oregon. Their families are presently living about the USA and B.C.

The Henry Kraus family (Mary Stricker) include:
Mrs. Emma Todd, Vancouver BC; Mrs. Martha Krausher, Lethbridge; Mrs. Frieda Frey, Medicine Hat; Mrs. Violet Lust, Victoria BC.

A candid photo of Henry and Mary Elizabeth accompanied this article.

--------------
THE HENRY KILTAU STORY - pg 296
by Katherine Temple

Henry and Charlotte Kiltau immigrated from Russia with two young children in approximately 1899, first settling in Arcola, Saskatchewan*, and then moving on to North Battleford. They left North Battleford with 5 young children traveling by train to Maple Creek. From Maple Creek to Happyland, the trip was made by covered wagon carrying all their worldly possessions, including one cow tied to the back of the wagon. The children would take turns walking behind the cow, persuading her to continue on this journey. After traveling so many miles the Kiltau family by-passed their homestead and ran out of bread all at the same time. Their first stop was at one of their new neighbours, who had just finished baking bread and was only too happy to share it and also give directions. On their new homestead, four miles south of Leader, seven more children were born. One of the twins, Charlotte**, died when only 5 years old after contracting measles. On Nov 1, 1919 two of their children were married in a double ceremony. (some detail omitted) Henry and Charlotte left Leader approx. 1922 with some of their younger children and relocated in Yakima, Wash., where they both passed away in the mid 1950's.

a photo accompanied this article

* this could be why Nova Scotia arrival papers for Susanna (Alexander too?) showed Arcola, SK as the destination
** author may be mistaken about the girl's name
-------------

LUDWIG KILTHAU SR. -- pg 197
by Violet Dieno

My dad married in Russia to Christina Hessler and they had two children, my sister Molly and brother, Conrad. He decided to immigrate to Canada. He came over from Russia in the early years and settled in Winnipeg. He came alone and had to work hard at many jobs, mostly digging sewers so he could make enough money to bring his family to Canada. When the family finally did arrive, they all lived in Winnipeg for some time and that is where my brother, Louie, was born.

In 1915, they decided to come west. They arrived here by train and were taken to the farm of my dad's uncle Henry Kilthau's. Dad worked for his uncle for a few years and in 1923 HE BOUGHT ALEX STRICKER's FARM about five miles south west of Leader....

there is more to this story / abbreviated here
a photograph accompanied this article

----------------
additional facts/corrections from my own research:
Charlotte Stricker Kiltau d. abt 1955 in Yakima, Washington. She and Henry had 13 children, 12 survived to adulthood. Charlotte became a US citizen June 1, 1937 at Yakima. Charlotte & Henry remained close to her brother Alexander's family; their daughter Pauline Kiltau Kahm remained close to her first cousins Mary and Eva Stricker; I have a photo fo Eva and Pauline, plus Pauline's wedding portrait--from my grandmother Mary's album.

-------

Q: Can you confirm that Fred Stricker, son of Henry and Mary Elizabeth (Sader) Stricker, is or is not the Fred Stricker who married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Haun? There's a portrait of "Lizzie" and her husband Fred online, and he very closely resembles Alexander, Henry & Mary Elizabeth's son...

email me off line to discuss further. Do you still have my email? Is yours still at bresnan.net ?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pattilynn 13 May 2003 2:45PM GMT 
baballew 19 Jul 2012 12:19PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions