Search for content in message boards

Searching for a needle in a haystack - a really short soldier from Lloydminster, name unknown

Replies: 2

Searching for a needle in a haystack - a really short soldier from Lloydminster, name unknown

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 12:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Our father was born and adopted in 1943 in St. Catharines, Ontario. We've received received some non-identifying adoption information that tells us that his birth father was from Lloydminster, born sometime between 1991-1923, was reportedly French Canadian with dark hair and pretty tan and of very short stature (5'5") (based on this we're wondering if he might even have been from a local Métis community). We've also been told that he enlisted in World War II and was dispatched first to Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario (Butler's Barracks), and later to CFB Borden, before being sent overseas. We don't know if he made it back home.

While he was in Niagara, he met a young English girl who worked in a local laundry. Her father worked at a local factory. They began a relationship and she became pregnant. There was some talk of them marrying but something must have happened because she soon contacted Child Welfare Services and made arrangements to put our father up for adoption. She was only 18 or 19 when our father was born.

So our grandfather is the needle we are looking for and I am not sure the best route to take without a name. I was thinking of taking out an ad in the local paper but I am hoping there might be some other options as well. I'm also hoping some of your genealogy fans who have ties to Lloydminster might ask your senior family members if this guy rings a bell. Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
B_ananahead 18 Jan 2012 7:41PM GMT 
Craven28 27 Jan 2012 3:36PM GMT 
dradessay 28 Jan 2012 8:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions