Search for content in message boards

Esrau Jowett's death & burial (Barr Colonist)

Replies: 5

Re: Esrau Jowett's death & burial (Barr Colonist)

Posted: 23 Sep 2012 8:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Jowett, Arrowsmith
Oh, WOW!!! That story in the Lashburn book certainly, and sadly, fills in one of the big gaps I've been trying to fill. Thank you so, so much for looking that up. I had shivers while reading it. I can't imagine being a pioneer woman in a new country with two young sons (one possibly physically handicapped from a long-ago family letter) and not knowing what became of my husband. Very sad, but fortunately she was able to support them.

I had read on a ship's passenger list and a census that Edith ("Mrs. Jowett") was a baker / confectioner so her owning a bakery fits well, as does her brother, Arthur Smith, being a merchant on a border crossing record (as he owned a hardware store in the story you attached)...such good details.

SK has started to digitize that province's homestead records and today I was able to find the seven pages associated with Esau's legal land description (same one as in your post). He was awarded the title in 1907, but there is no further information after that.

Would you, or anyone reading this, have any idea how I would find out when the land changed hands after that? (I've searched that at the AB archives for AB homesteads, but don't about SK. I was in Lashburn and Marshall two years ago doing genealogy research on Robert's family (he's the man Edith eventually remarried), but unfortunately didn't know about this other branch then.)

Now, I hope to find a marriage certificate for Edith (nee: Smith) Jowett and my great gf, Robert Arrowsmith, most likely in Saskatchewan and sometime after 1916. (Robert's wife, Annie [nee; Hindle], died 15 Feb 1915 and Edith is listed as a widow on the 1916 census so I'm thinking they married some time in or after 1916.)

You have no idea how much I appreciate all this help! The genealogy community continues to amaze me.

With appreciation,
Kim
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kiarmo 22 Sep 2012 6:55PM GMT 
sstanger1 22 Sep 2012 8:34PM GMT 
kiarmo 22 Sep 2012 11:04PM GMT 
sstanger1 23 Sep 2012 12:07AM GMT 
japeterson158 23 Sep 2012 6:01AM GMT 
kiarmo 23 Sep 2012 2:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic