Search for content in message boards

Oritsky and name variations

Replies: 7

Re: Arma Saskatchewan

Posted: 25 Jul 2011 7:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: oritisky and varients
Hi! So nice to hear from someone out there! I really appreciated your information but it doesn't work I am afraid. Looking at my Cummins map from the U of S archives, i can see my great grandparents land and it was West of the river towards the Alma side about 1/2 a section E of Reed lake. My grand father always said he was Polish and all docs have indicated he was Galician so by all rights they should be on the other side of the river but they aren't.

My brother and I tried to drive out to there last summer but the road was dreadful so didn't get very far. I wish I knew about the cemetery though - that was really helpful and odd how all of the headstones are not transcribed!

I have recently written the Rosthern library for advice but have not had a reply from them and as I live abroad I can't just visit them so I might have to come up with a different plan.

Are you familiar with the book "old and new furrows"? On page (289?) they list a number of Ukrainian families that came to the area in 1898 and my great grandfather is one of them so that was a great clue but they didn't give the name of the village they came from - just Galicia. I tried to work side ways and research some of the othe families listed but no luck yet. So I still don't know if he was Ukrainian or Polish!

I thought about contacting the church but I am not sure how to go about it as on some docs they are Rutherian, Roman Catholic and then Greek Catholic.

If you have an ideas about this I would love to hear them. Thanks for your reply.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KSChamberlain 9 Oct 2008 9:20AM GMT 
kdkmail 24 Jul 2011 9:37PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 25 Jul 2011 1:41PM GMT 
kdkmail 25 Jul 2011 5:25PM GMT 
rtrann83 22 Jan 2013 7:46PM GMT 
japeterson158 24 Jan 2013 3:01AM GMT 
sstanger1 26 Jul 2011 8:52PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 29 Jul 2011 2:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions