Search for content in message boards

Oritsky and name variations

Replies: 7

Arma Saskatchewan

Posted: 24 Jul 2011 3:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi there,

Not sure if I have replied to you previously so I will do it again to be sure! The town of Arma died long ago and it is where my father was born. There is a small family cemetery that is just off the the main highway by a few yards. My GGparents and many other direct relatives are buried there. However, someone has listed the graves but for some reason they did NOT include all of the headstones. I have been to this graveyard many times so I am quite familiar with "who" is thereI am guessing that it is for personal and likely petty reasons... in any case it is unfortunate. There is a bit more information that might help you find what you are looking for. The Sask. river divides 2 distinct heritage groups. On the Arma / Rosthern side the people were and still are for the most part Germans from the Volga area in Russia along with some Polish/Germans. These 2 groups were all Lutheran or Mennonites. The other side of the river were predominately Ukrainians (Galacians) and Orthodox Catholics. If your search has not led you to the churches you may find that you will have more luck there. There has always been a river crossing between these areas (ferry)and the distance across is very short. You could yell loud enough to speak to someone on the other side! My own grandfather had a lot to say about the Galacians so I have always been aware of the difference between the people. Thank heavans times have changed and these differences mean nothing anymore.
In closing, have a look at a map and you will find the names of all of the villages opposite the Rosthern side. One other thing you should be aware of is that the land that was farmed was not always the land that was lived on.
Cheers!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KSChamberlain 9 Oct 2008 9:20AM GMT 
kdkmail 24 Jul 2011 9:37PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 25 Jul 2011 1:41PM GMT 
kdkmail 25 Jul 2011 5:25PM GMT 
rtrann83 22 Jan 2013 7:46PM GMT 
japeterson158 24 Jan 2013 3:01AM GMT 
sstanger1 26 Jul 2011 8:52PM GMT 
KSChamberlain 29 Jul 2011 2:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions