Search for content in message boards

Amelia Huttner Dow Vandergrinten

Replies: 5

Amelia Huttner Dow Vandergrinten

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 8:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vandergrinten Dow Huttner
I'd be most grateful for any information on a grand aunt who is reported in the 1916 Canada Census as Amelia Vandergrinten, b. 1874, age 42, "arrived 1904" [I'm not sure what this means!] and resides at 12, Weyburn, Sask. (Twp. 12-13 ranges 14-16, W.2.m., including town of Francis). Her marital status is single, but she lives with a daughter, Emma Dow, age 20, and three boarder/farm workers (some of whom also seems to be students).

I know that she was born in October 1874 in Winona County, Minnesota as Amelia H. Huttner; both her parents had been born in Prussia. In the 1880s the family moved to Wilkin County, MN, and on 10/29/1896 she there married Fred Dow, delivering almost immediately a daughter Emma.

In 1900 the U.S. Census locates her (as Amelia Dow) in Twp. 163 Ward County (later Burke County), living with her daughter Emma Dow and two younger brothers. In 1904 she proved a homestead claim (163N 090W SW 1/4 section 33 in northeastern Burke County), and in 1910 is reported owning the farm free of mortgage, with her daughter and brothers still residing with her (they were both soon to break out and homestead on their own).

I have an undated photograph, apparently taken on the day of her second wedding, that identifies her as "Mrs. John Vandergrinten." Laurence and Joseph Vandergrinten homesteaded in Burke County about this time, but I do not find mention of John. The marriage seems to have taken place after 1910 and before 1916. One much abbreviated ancestry.com record suggests she had a second child with John, but quickly parted his company, John going on to another marriage that produced a further three children. He died in Regina in 1951.

I would particularly like to know if Amelia left tracks of interest in Weyburn; did she remain there long past 1916? -- and what happened to Emma: did she marry and whom? Remain in Saskatchewan? -- and is there a record of the name and gender of the/an Amelia-John child?

How to research all this short of extended travel isn't obvious to me, although I'm a recently retired academic librarian, but ideas would certainly be welcome!

Anyone who would like to contact me directly is welcome to do so at sid [hyphen] huttner at uiowa [period] edu.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
icsid 23 Jan 2013 3:17AM GMT 
japeterson158 23 Jan 2013 5:07AM GMT 
icsid 3 Feb 2013 10:39PM GMT 
icsid 4 Feb 2013 12:06AM GMT 
sstanger1 4 Feb 2013 12:49AM GMT 
icsid 4 Feb 2013 2:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions