Search for content in message boards

Moore Family in Saltcoats (1890 to 1900)

Replies: 1

Moore Family in Saltcoats (1890 to 1900)

Posted: 19 Dec 2012 1:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore, Stark
I am looking for any information on a Moore family that lived for a time in Saltcoats.

James Andrew Moore (b. 1861 in Ireland) and his wife Jane Stark (b. 1862 in Ontario) moved to Saltcoats between 1887 and 1890 - They were married in 1885 in Ontario and had 2 boys, William Andrew Moore (b. 1886) and James Stevenson Moore (b. 1887) both in Ontario. A third son, Albert A. Moore was born in the NWT (possibly Saltcoats, in April 1890). Their 4th child was my g-grandmother, Beatrice Anna Moore, b. 3 mar 1893 in Saltcoats.

They had a 5th child, Edith Gertrude who died as an infant in 1895, followed the following year by Jane in Sep 1896. Both mother and daughter are buried in the Saltcoats Community Cemetery (the transcription online has Edith's name as Beth and Jane's year of death as 1898 instead of 1896)

The family does appear on the 1891 Census in Saltcoats - in Assinobia East, District 198, Sub-District Broadview. James appears to be listed as a Section foreman (or possibly farmer?).

At some point not too long after Jane dies, James leave the children with neighbors and leaves the area - Beatrice with different neighbors than the boys. Beatrice ends up back in Ontario, then moves to the U.S. around 1910. I have found William and Albert living in Manitoba by the 1901 Census, listed as lodgers in the same household.

I am trying to find any additional information on the family - they were not there long, but a lot happened and I am trying to piece together what I can of the children's time after that and what happens with James - I have immigration records from 1907 and 1926 (from Beatrice and Albert) that indicate he was living in, first, Winnipeg, then Hudson Bay Junction.

I am working in an inter library loan of the Saltocats , Roots and Branches book, but any other help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Paleot 19 Dec 2012 8:37PM GMT 
bevsabo1 18 Dec 2013 7:53PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions