Search for content in message boards

Collins/Colín, Marrón, Arballo, Cosío, García, Róbinson, Arce...

Replies: 30

Collins/Colín, Marrón, Arballo, Cosío, García, Róbinson, Arce...

Posted: 2 Jan 2003 11:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Collins, Colin, Marron, Arballo, Cosio, Garcia, Robinson, Arce
Greetings to all . . . I am a newbie at genealogy research. I just recently started to look up my g-grandmother's family in Baja California (they were all over the peninsula) through the book "Guia Familiar de Baja California" by Pablo L. Martínez. I've run into a few dead-ends, though. Here is my long-winded summary of what I have:

Collins and Robinson have interesting origins . . . apparently, John Collins and Peter Robinson were both English sailors on a whaling ship in the early 19th cent., and when they docked somewhere in BC Sur, they and a few other fellows deserted their crew. They all assimilated into Californio society; becoming Catholic, taking on Spanish names, and marrying Californian women. The former, born in London on June 24, 1796, was baptized as Juan Bautista Montaño (but mostly used the name Juan Colin), married Maria Loreto Marrón, had kids from around 1825 to 1853, and died in Miraflores in 1866. The latter became Pedro Róbinson, and married Vicenta García (no record of her family so far...and García must be one of the most common names anywhere, so I don't know where I'm going to find anything there...).

I haven't found any parents listed for Loreto Marrón, but I think she might be the daughter of Guadalupe Marrón and Thomasa Arce (whose names are also given as José María Marrón and Tomasa Velásquez), because Martínez says that that couple was the source of the Marrón surname, and they came earlier than the "Egyptian" Francisco Marrón (who didn't get married until 1834). Their other daughter Alvara Marrón was born in 1799 and baptized at La Purísima, and I think Loreto was also of that generation, so they might be sisters . . . but it's still pretty unclear.

My gg-grandmother (born in Santiago in 1879) married into the Collins family, and her parents were Loreto Arballo and Valentina Cosío (both from Santiago) . . . I don't know anything more about either of their families.

One of the confusing things about this book is that there are a lot of people who are given multiple names or spellings of their names in their respective entries . . . and I hate it when something like a dozen people have the exact same name, live during the same time period, and I can't tell who's who . . . (I found about 11 different 19th cent.-era guys named Francisco Cosío this way!)

This message is getting really long, so I'll end it here. I hope something here looks familiar to somebody out there.

--jessica, who is also new to this website/message board, and hopes she is following protocol properly...
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
yesicar 3 Jan 2003 6:29AM GMT 
luisitog 7 Jan 2003 9:23AM GMT 
R_Arispe 13 Mar 2003 8:30PM GMT 
luisitog 14 Mar 2003 7:59AM GMT 
Roxanne Arispe 14 Mar 2003 3:57PM GMT 
Rondi 25 Oct 2003 4:52PM GMT 
Norreen Wright 26 Oct 2003 9:49AM GMT 
estyfm1 13 Mar 2004 7:35PM GMT 
Norreen Wright 14 Mar 2004 1:45AM GMT 
FrancesEsty 14 Mar 2004 1:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions