Search for content in message boards

Thew Marron and Carrillo familes of Baja Sur pre-1820

Replies: 9

Thew Marron and Carrillo familes of Baja Sur pre-1820

Posted: 21 Sep 2011 11:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
After over 35 years of research I have finally figured out the founding family basic info for the soldiers' Carrillo and Marron Pre-1800. A few exciting recent discoveries, yes, and just putting together alot of information and evidence. My ancestor is Juan Marron, b. Baja Sur, 1800, most likey at San Jose del Cabo. His origins are Rafael Marron who was the ONLY Marron on the penonsula pre-1800. Juan married Maria Magdalena (Elena) Carrillo Mayoral of San Jose del Cabo (parents: the soldier Ygnacio Carrillo & Dorotea Mayoral) in 1822. In 1834 at the Real de San Antonio, his second son, Juan, was born, my ancestor.

This son would eventually migrate northward with his parents- his father running a ranch in El Rosario (BC Norte) in the 1840s and leaving Ygnacio, the first-born son there to become the founder of the El Rosario Marrons. By 1853 the family has arrived in San Diego county, leaving 2 sons, Jose del Rosario and Ygnacio and a daughter, Maria de la Cruz, in the El Rosario -Santo Domingo area. While in the San Diego area, Juan Marron and his wife, Maria Elena Carrillo Mayoral, have a new son baptised with the Marrons of San Diego standing in.

By 1856 the family is in Los Angeles and son, Juan, marries a Californio woman, Juana Blasa Morales, He is found on the 1860 census w his wife, and new daughter, Maria de los Angeles Marron. He is working as a vaquero and living in the San Jose area-San Jose meaning what is NOW TODAY the area that was known as Spadra-all in Los Angeles county. By 1870 Juan the son has left his family (as discovered years ago in an old family tale!!) and while running cattle back and forth to Baja from Los Angeles, he has a second wife and kids, in San Telmo (an old mission visita site!).

I have accumulated over 3000 names on my Familias Antiguas de Baja California database-concentrating on the Marrons, Carrillos, Arces, Altamiranos and a zillion early Baja families. I have spent over 40 years exploring Baja and have ridden 80% of el camino real via the Mexican 4WD, the MULE. I have shared hundreds of miles of mission trails with the sons and daughters of the familias antiguas descendants even sharing same ancestors way back when.

Since pre-1800 church records of San Jose del Cabo are next to impossible to find due pirates, Indian rebellions, local political squabbles and hurricanes, a few pieces of the puzzles are missing.

I do know that there is misinformation wandering the net regarding the Marrons of San Diego but these Marrons are also of the same Marron family of San Jose del Cabo...sons and grandsons of the soldiers and entrepeneurs (sp!!) who came to Baja California in the mid-1750s.

I would like to hear from any Marron (both Alta and Baja California) researchers so that we can exchange findings and get things straightened out. Also would like to hear from Carrillo researchers-pre-1820, Baja Sur.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
TeddiMontes 21 Sep 2011 5:26PM GMT 
TeddiMontes 21 Sep 2011 5:28PM GMT 
sillylandfish... 1 Dec 2011 9:45PM GMT 
sillylandfish... 3 Dec 2011 2:50PM GMT 
TeddiMontes 22 Jan 2012 5:50PM GMT 
DavidMarron34 6 Sep 2012 8:26AM GMT 
caf_s_q 18 May 2013 6:03PM GMT 
TeddiMontes 19 May 2013 12:45AM GMT 
DavidMarron34 21 Jan 2012 9:36AM GMT 
TeddiMontes 22 Jan 2012 5:14PM GMT 
per page