Search for content in message boards

licenciado Jesús Acuña

Replies: 5

Re: licenciado Jesús Acuña

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 2:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,

Thank you for getting in touch with me.

Everything I know about Jesús Acuña is based upon what little my mother could remember and what I have been able to piece together through research. My mother was about one year old when Jesús Acuña was killed in Mexico and neither her nor my grand mother ever met him. All they knew about him was what my great grand mother told them about him which was very little and from the one photo of him that she had kept. I believe that Jesús Acuña must have met my great grandmother - Margarita Ramirez - while he was a student in Mexico City, since my grandmother's birth date of 1911 coincides with that date. Jesus Acuna and my great grandmother were not to the best of my knowledge ever married which could be when she left Mexico for the United States not long after my grandmother was born. Unlike today situations like that were not viewed lightly.

All that I was told about Jesús Acuña was that he was a lawyer who may have been involved in the Mexican Revolution that that he was killed sometime before my mother was born - that and one old photo that had been enlarged forma newspaper story. Since then I have put together a fairly complete outline of his life from various historical sources. Such sources tell a story in a rather dry way and really don't substitute for true family history. I have found several nice photographs of him in old publications and even the Library of Congress. Have you seen that images which I posted on my family tree?

As far as I know there was never any direct contact between Jesús Acuña and my great grandmother while he was still alive - at least none that she ever related to anyone. Sometime after his death my great grandmother received some legal documents from Mexico that related to that event. My great grandmother was fearful of returning to Mexico to look into the documents and instead entrusted a acquaintance to do this for her. She signed the paperwork and it and the acquaintance were never seen again. We can only assume that perhaps Jesus Acuna had willed some money to his daughter but we will never know for sure.

If you have any information or photographs regarding Jesús Acuña that you might be will to share I would be greatly appreciated as would my mother and my aunt - his two granddaughters by Margarita. As I mentioned I have quite a few photos of him in my tree here at ancestry.com that you may or may not have seen before but feel free to look and use any that you like. I also have copies of a set of papers that were put together by the Justice Department while Jesús Acuña was living in Austin, Texas after an assassination attempt was made on him around 1915 in Mexico City. Since he was so heavily involved in the Revolution they wanted to keep an eye on him so the Justice Department's Bureau of Investigation (the forerunner of the FBI) built up a file on him which makes interesting reading.

thank you again for getting in touch,

Ed
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Edward Garcia 28 Nov 2008 5:26AM GMT 
Edward Garcia 26 Aug 2009 4:04PM GMT 
Ga_Sa_Ac 28 Nov 2012 12:09AM GMT 
Edward Garcia 4 Dec 2012 9:04PM GMT 
1_servando 7 Dec 2012 5:33AM GMT 
1_servando 7 Dec 2012 5:33AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions