Search for content in message boards

McCall and Sterrett

Replies: 1

McCall and Sterrett

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 6:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Nov 2012 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: McCall, Sterrett
Hello. I am trying to track my great grandfather, Thomas McCall, and my great grandmother, Sarah Sterrett back to Scotland. I am posting here because I know that a lot of Sterretts and McCalls left Northern Ireland to come to the US, so maybe some of you have these ancestors in common.
Here is what I have: Thomas McCall, born sometime roughly around 1837 (altho it could be abt 1813) in Scotland or Northern Ireland (Armagh?) and his wife, Sarah Sterrett, born 1849 (altho it could be 1816) in Tyrone, Northern Ireland. Thomas McCall's parents were William McCall and Elizabeth Joyce (not sure if that was a surname or middle name). Sarah Sterrett's parents were James Sterrett (1806-1889), and his parents were James Sterrett and Jane Dunn. He was married to a Janet -- don't know her maiden name (1808-1886). We don't know where William/Elizabeth and James/Jane were from. When the Sterretts went to Australia, they identified themselves as Scottish, but Sarah Sterrett was born in Northern Ireland and family lore said Thomas McCall was from Armagh Ireland. We haven't yet found when the McCalls went to Australia, but they all ended up there. Sarah went when she was 14 on the ship Lightning. Together, Thomas and Sarah had the following children: Albert John McCall (born 1878); William Valentine McCall (1868-1949); Thomas George McCall (born 1870); Elizabeth Jane McCall (1872-1899); Mary Sophia (Minnie) McCall (1874-1895); William James McCall (1877-1878); Fred Charles McCall (born 1880); Walter James McCall (born 1882-1885); Oswald Walter Samuel McCall, my grandfather (born 12 September 1885 in Ascot Vale, Victoria and died 13 June 1959, Milford, CT); and Florence Sarah McCall (1887-1981). Those dates are backed up by documents. As I mentioned, the father and all the children died of TB when my grandfather was a child -- he reported his childhood was "a succession of funerals." Sarah, Oswald, Florence, and William Valentine McCall and maybe a couple of others judging from the death dates survived. I believe William Valentine McCall became town clerk of Melbourne. Oswald became a Methodist minister and came with my grandmother to America, where we are now.
Hopefully this will provide enough clues -- I am really hitting a brick wall with respect to pushing the McCall and Sterrett line back before Thomas and Sarah. Many thanks for any help you can give. I have information about all the kids in Australia -- I mostly need birthplace for Thomas and then all 4 grandparents any info available...

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pilgrim37 13 Nov 2012 1:50AM GMT 
kumeyaayindia... 15 Nov 2012 10:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic