Search for content in message boards

Counties, States and the USA Dates

Replies: 1

Counties, States and the USA Dates

Posted: 29 May 2013 9:25AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 May 2013 9:32AM GMT
As I go over Hints I see many Trees with ancestors who had events prior to July 4, 1776 listed as happening in a State, USA or United States of America. Prior to July 4, 1776 there were no states or a USA. I use Virginia Colony, or North Carolina Colony, et.al.

Also, there are several sources which tell when a particular State or County within the State came into existence.

Many of my relatives are from West Virginia. West Virginia did not exist as a State until Jun 20, 1863, so all references prior to that date should say Virginia.

Additionally, many of my relatives are/were from Summers County, WV. Summers County was created by an act of the West Virginia General Assembly on February 27, 1871 from parts of Fayette, Greenbrier, Mercer and Monroe counties. Please make sure a county existed before you cite it.

As much effort as you put into the veracity of individuals by finding as many sources as you can, please verify the county, state references by doing a little research. Just because another Tree says so, doesn't make it so.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dcballenge 29 May 2013 3:25PM GMT 
luciemyers1 5 Jun 2013 1:52PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions