Search for content in message boards

The Illusive brothers: Sanfrid and Oskar Bergsten

Replies: 2

The Illusive brothers: Sanfrid and Oskar Bergsten

Posted: 15 Apr 2014 8:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Apr 2014 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Bergsten, Bergquist, Gustafsson,Gustafson, Johansson, Johanson, Anderson, Rockland, Draper
Hello,
I am looking for any help possible in finding out about my elusive uncles: Gustaf Sanfrid Bergsten (called Sanfrid or Sanfred) and Oskar Vilhelm Bergsten (likely Americanized his name to Oscar).
Gustaf Sanfrid Bergsten (called Sanfrid) was born January 27, 1867 in Harja, Vastra Gotalands, Sweden, Oskar (Oscar) Vilhelm Bergsten was born February 6, 1869 in Harja. Both brothers arrived in New York on March 14, 1891, and after a trip back home, returned in April of 1896.
Sanfrid and Oskar were two of the 9 children born to Johan Gustaf Bergsten and Lovisa Matilda Berg, both of Harja, about which I have plenty of information. A cousin who is the son of the youngest of the nine, Ellen Elisabet Bergsten, says his mother believed both brothers remained in the US. She also thought Sanfrid may have gone to prison, in my cousin's words, she was worried about him.
Five other siblings also came to the US: Carl Johan Bergsten of Calverton, NY; Hilda Olivia Bergsten Rockland Draper of Riverhead, NY; Victor Emmanuel Bergsten of Olean, NY; Anna Kristina Bergsten Bergquist of Bogota, NJ (and possibly later Moline, IL), and Augusta Klara Bergsten Anderson also of Bogota, NJ. According to Victor's obituary in December of 1950, neither brothers were still living, or if they were, he did not mention them.
As the family came to the US during the time when Sweden made the shift from patronymics, using their father's name as a basis for a surname, the family may have gone by other surnames. Both Carl and Hilda used the surname of Gustafsson/Gustafson to refer to their father being Gustaf (Johan Gustaf). They may have also used the name of Johansson to refer to Johan Gustaf's first name. They may have gone by something altogether different as well.
I wish I had more information to provide, but if there is anyone out there who can take these small tidbits and fill in the puzzle pieces, my entire family and I would be extremely grateful. Thank you very much for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,
Mike
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mdrapes18 16 Apr 2014 2:32AM GMT 
sbny357 16 Apr 2014 7:51PM GMT 
mdrapes18 16 Apr 2014 8:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic