Search for content in message boards

Opothle Yaholo/Jim Boy/Campbell's

Replies: 34

Opothle Yaholo/Jim Boy/Campbell's

Posted: 19 Jan 2005 3:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2005 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: CAMPBELL, MENEWA, MENAWA, YAHOLO, CORNELS, REID, COBB
On page 136 of Ulysses Abrams book (Early History of Bibb County Alabama) I found the following:

"James REID vs. Opothle-Yahola and Jim Boy (37)

Trespass, assault, and Battery - This action was tried at the term of the Circuit Court, which has just terminated. Judgment by default had been rendered at a previous term. From the evidence, it appeared that in June, 1828, the plaintiff accompanied a deputy of the sheriff of Shelby County into the Creek Nation for the purpose of aiding in the execution of
process; that he was seized by the Indians, bound with cords, stripped of his clothing save a light shirt and pantaloons, carried first to Tuckabatchee and there, by one of the defendants, bound with additional cords and
ordered on to Thomas Trippett's who was the sub-agent; and from there, taken to Line Creek by a party of Indians under command of the other defendants, his back made bare, tied fast to a tree, and beat with hickory sticks an inch thick and five feet in length, forty stripes.

The court instructed the jury that the only question for them was to assess damage. They retired, and in a few minutes, returned with a verdict of $4500.00.

The case was argued by Busbee and Hinton for the plaintiff; and Gordon, Goldthwaite and Campbell for the defendants."

(37) The Alabama Intellingencer, Tuscaloosa, April, 1830.

Can someone tell me what relation Opothle Yaholo had (if any) to Menawa? My Charity, a creek indian, who married David CAMPBELL is said by some to be the daughter or sister to Menawa . . . and some says she is the daughter of Davy CORNELS . . . very confusing!

Anyway the person, James REID, mentioned in this case was a neighbor of Alexander COBB who my Elijah C CAMPBELL (son of Charity and David) was the overseer for . . . I am interested in researching this further, but do not have any idea where to start . . . also am interested in the CAMPBELL who defended them.

Thanks,

Melissa
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
melissahogan6... 19 Jan 2005 10:50PM GMT 
acgivens 5 May 2005 5:24AM GMT 
Elisa Sanford 5 May 2005 9:32PM GMT 
melissahogan6... 5 May 2005 10:56PM GMT 
annie45waters 12 Feb 2012 2:42AM GMT 
gmwnmd1 3 Jul 2012 3:53AM GMT 
annie45waters 3 Jul 2012 1:35PM GMT 
upchuckkamalu 23 Sep 2012 3:01PM GMT 
annie45waters 23 Sep 2012 3:50PM GMT