Search for content in message boards

Scuddy Plantation

Replies: 3

Re: Scuddy Plantation

Posted: 20 Aug 2011 10:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello august2005,

I’m not a descendant of the Danos and Scudday families (nor do I reside in Louisiana), but not only is the Scudday house still standing, but it is now a bed and breakfast establishment located at 506 Saint Philip Street. in Thibodauz, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana.

The name of the bed and breakfast is the Dansereaux House. For more information and photos of the Dansereaux House, see the following two links:

http://dansereauhouse.com/

http://dansereauhouse.com/about/

A map of Thibodaux showing the location of the Dansereau House can be viewed at:
http://dansereauhouse.com/contact/

I obtained more information about the Dansereau House from a very kind lady named Naomi Hurtienne Magola, who works as a reference librarian at the Thibodaux branch of the Lafourche Parish Public Library System. Naomi had attempted to send email attachments with information about the Dansereau House, originally constructed by James A. Scuddy in the 1840s, but my computer for reasons still unknown, refused to accept the attachments she had sent, and so, she kindly faxed the information.

For example Naomi had faxed an article entitled “Stately Mansion Has Colorful Past,” by Carol A. Mathias, found in a publication called “The Lafourche County III Annals and Onwardness.”

I’ve quoted portions of this article having to do with James A. Scudday, who was a medical doctor.
In 1842 Scuddy bought the property on which his house stands today, from Henry Schuyler Thibodaux‘s wife, Bridget Belanger. The town of Thibodaux is named after Henry Schuyler Thibodaux:

“Scudday came to Thibodaux in the 1830s from South Carolina. He established a medical practice , was a founder and active parishioner in St. John’s Episcopal Church, and served as Mayor of Thibodaux from 1840-1845...Dr. Scudday and his wife, Marguerite Aubert, had four children. Though the exact date is not known, sometime during the 1840s, the Scuddays built a large one-storey home on the property. Because this structure was built before the Civil War, slave labor was undoubtedly used in the construction. In addition, local material such as handmade bricks and cypress logs were used. The brick walls and wide plank flooring of the original Scudday home have survived and form the core of the first floor of the structure today.

“In May 1861, shortly after the beginning of the Civil War, Francois Philip Dansereau, a French-Canadian from the province of Quebec, purchased the home from the estate of Mrs. James A. Scudday at a Sheriff’s sale. He paid $5,000 for the property. Soon after the purchase, Francois became ill and returned to Canada. He died in 1866 and left the property to his brother, Hercule Dansereau…”

Later in the article the author writes that the home remained in the Dansereau family until 1947 when the property was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Vernon L. Caldwell.

The article doesn’t mention the Danos family, but I found through research in marriage and census records that people named Danos had lived in Lafourche Parish at least since the 1830s, if not before. This further means it’s not out of the realm of possibility that the Danos and Scudday families knew one another for many years prior to the 20th century.

Two of the earliest records I found for the Danos surname in Thibodaux Parish, were the marriages of Guillaume Danos and Azeline Guidry on 2 November 1833, and Telcide Danos and Marcellin Guidry on 3 July 1834.

These records were found at the Ancestry.com subscription website. Please see below:

Louisiana Marriages to 1850

Spouse 1: Danos, Guillaume
Spouse 2: Guidry, Azeline
Marriage Date: 2 Nov 1833
Marriage Location: Louisiana
Lafourche Parish

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Louisiana Marriages to 1850 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1997.

Original data: Dodd, Jordan R, et. al.. Early American Marriages: Louisiana to 1850.
Bountiful, UT, USA: Precision Indexing Publishers, 19xx.
____

Louisiana Marriages to 1850

Spouse 1: Danos, Telcide
Spouse 2: Guidry, Marcellin
Marriage Date: 3 Jul 1834
Marriage Location: Louisiana
Lafourche Parish

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. Louisiana Marriages to 1850 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 1997.

Original data: Dodd, Jordan R, et. al.. Early American Marriages: Louisiana to 1850.
Bountiful, UT, USA: Precision Indexing Publishers, 19xx.
____

I also found Danos family members in Lafourche Parish in the 1850 and1860 U.S. Census enumerations. I believe these families lived in or near Thibodaux, as the 1860 enumerations for the Danos families shows the Post Office Address for their households is Raceland, which is located only a few miles southeast of Thibodaux. I’m not sure if there was a post office in Thibodaux at this time, or if the Danos families had lived in a section of Thibodaux that was closer to the Raceland post office than the post office in Thibodaux.

The census returns follow. The transcriptions for the census returns are from Ancestry.com:

1850 United States Federal Census

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in Bayou Lafourche in the County of Lafourche State
Of La enumerated by me, on the 20 day of Dec 1850. L E Lameraux Ass’t Marshal

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate Owned, Place of Birth,
Attended school within the year, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write

Urbin Danos, 36, Male
Basilise Danos, 33, Female
Ewalina Danos, 6, Female
Mary Danos, 4, Female
Francois Danos, 10, Male
Louis Danos, 1, Male

NEXT PAGE

Attended school within the year, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write

Danos Danos, 46, Male, Lafourche, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Bilie Danos, 40, Female
Danos Danos, 16, Male
Arelina Danos, 15, Female
Margaret Danos, 14, Female
Pauline Danos, 13, Female
John Bartiste, 12, Male
Ursin Bartiste, 1
Olivier Guedry, 99, Male, Lafourche, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write

Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Bayou Lafourche, Lafourche, Louisiana;
Roll: M432_232; Page: 316B; Image: 639.
____

THE 1860 U.S. FEDERAL CENSUS

1860 United States Federal Census

Page No. 42

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in 5 Ward Parish of Lafourche State
Of Louisiana enumerated by me, on the 13 day of August 1860. Sorthiem Folse, Ass’t Marshal

Post Office: Raceland

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,

Guillom Danos, 51, Male, Farmer, $1,000, $300, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Azilie Danos, 40, Female, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Azilin Danos, 21, Male, Day laborer, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
J. Baptiste, 12, Male, Louisiana

NEXT PAGE

Name, Age, Sex, Color, Occupation, Value of Real Estate, Value of Personal Estate, Place of Birth,

Guillaume Danos, 26, Male, Farmer, $300, $450, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Celima Danos, 19, Female, Louisiana
Paul Danos, 1, Male, Louisiana

Next Household

Urbin Danos, 43, Male, Farmer, $1,000, $200, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Baselice Danos, 40, Female, Louisiana, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Margueritte Danos, 16, Female, Louisiana
Matilde Danos, 14, Female, Louisiana
Henry Danos, 12, Male, Louisiana
Guillaume Danos, 10, Male, Louisiana
Elise Danos, 8, Male, Louisiana
Louisa Danos, 6, Female, Louisiana
Urbin Danos, 5, Male, Louisiana
Justin Mire, 21, Male, Louisiana

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Ward 5, Lafourche, Louisiana; Roll: M653_413;
Page: 43; Image: 42; Family History Library Film: 803413.
____

Page No. 4

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in 9 Ward Parish of Lafourche State
Of Louisiana enumerated by me, on the 24 day of August 1860. Sorthiem Folse, Ass’t Marshal

Toussain Danos, 24, Male, Farmer, $300, $200, La, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Ermance Danos, 19, Female, La
Elisea Danos, 4, Female, La
Henry Danos, 2, Male, La

NEXT HOUSEHOLD

Urban Danos, 23, Male, Farmer, $300, $200, La, Person over 21 years of age who cannot read and write
Melasie Danos, 18, Female, La
Johnson Danos, 2, Male, La
Erneste Danos, 7/12, Male, La

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Ward 9, Lafourche, Louisiana; Roll: M653_413;
Page: 4; Image: 3; Family History Library Film: 803413.
____

JAMES A SCUDDAY

In the article noted earlier entitled “Stately Mansion Has Colorful Past,” found in The Lafourche Country III publication, author Carol A. Mathias wrote that because the Dansereau House was built by Dr. James A. Scuddy before the Civil War, slave labor was undoubtedly used in the construction of the home. While I can’t prove that Dr. Scudday used slave labor to built the house, I know that he owned slaves, as Scudday slaves were recorded in the 1850 and 1860 U.S. Federal Slave Schedules for Thibodaux, Lafourche Parish, Louisiana.

For example the 1850 slave schedules show that James A. Scudday owned 11 slaves.

Below is the 1850 slave schedule for these slaves. The names of the slaves aren’t provided in the slave schedule. Only their ages, genders, and race (Black or Mulatto) were recorded, unfortunately:

1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules

SCHEDULE 2.-Slave Inhabitants in Thibodaux in the County of Lafourche State
Of La, enumerated by me, on the 4th day of Dec, 1850. L E ? Ass't Marshal

Slave Owners

James A Scudday

Slave Information

Age Gender Race

50 Female Mulatto
25 Female Mulatto
25 Male Black
20 Female Mulatto
15 Female Mulatto
7 Male Black
6 Male Mulatto
5 Male Black
4 Female Black
3 Female Mulatto
2 Female Black

Total No. of Slaves: 11

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2004.

Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Seventh Census of the
United States, 1850. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration,
1850. M432, 1,009 rolls.
____

Next I located the family of James A. Scudday in the 1850 U.S. Census of free inhabitants of Thibodaux. The census shows that James was a 45 year old M.D. born in South Carolina. The enumeration also shows that his real estate holdings were worth $10,000. Some of that worth may have been due to the value of his slaves. You’ll also notice that James’s 30 year old wife Margaret was born in Lafourche Parish. Their four children, 8 year old James, 6 year old Mary, 5 year old Louisa, and 3 year old Alice were also born in the Parish. There are also two boarders in the Scudday household. These are J R Gourdain, a surveyor, and Elizabeth Gourdain. The dwelling they lived in at this time is probably the present day Dansereau Bed and Breakfast:

1850 United States Federal Census

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in Thibodaux in the County of Lafourche State
Of La enumerated by me, on the 5th & 11th day of Dec 1850.

James A Scudday, 45, Male, M.D. $10,000, South Carolina
Margaret Scudday, 30. Female, Lafourche
J R Gourdain. 20, Male, Surveyor, St, James
Elizabeth Gourdain, 15, Female, Assumption
James Scudday, 8, Male, Lafourche
Mary Scudday, 6, Female, Lafourche
Louisa Scudday, 5, Female, Lafourche
Alice Scudday, 3, Female, Lafourche

Source Citation: Year: 1850; Census Place: Thibodaux, Lafourche, Louisiana;
Roll: M432_232; Page: 300A; Image: 606.
____

Moving ahead ten years I next wanted to see if James A. Scudday was still a slave owner in Lafourche Parish in the 1860 slave schedules. The 1860 slave schedules show he owned a great deal more slaves than he had in the 1850 enumeration.

The slave schedules show he kept slaves in three different places within the 2nd and 3rd Wards of Lafourche Parish.

The enumeration below shows that 71 Scudday slave were quartered in 10 slave houses in Ward 2 of the parish. You‘ll also notice that the first slave recorded in the list is a 71 year old mulatto man, who is listed as a “Fugitive from the state“:

1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules

Page No. 60 & 61

SCHEDULE 2.-Slave Inhabitants in 2nd Ward in the County of Lafourche State
Of La., enumerated by me, on the 30th day of August & 6th day of Sept, 1860. P A Robichaux Ass't Marshal

Slave Owners

James A Scudday

No. of slave houses: 10

Slave Information

Age Gender Race

71 Male Mulatto Fugitive from the state
65 Male Black
65 Female Mulatto
54 Male Mulatto
52 Male Black
50 Female Black
48 Male Black
48 Male Mulatto
48 Female Black
46 Female Black
46 Male Black
45 Female Black
45 Female Mulatto
45 Male Black
45 Female Black
45 Male Black
41 Male Black
40 Male Black
40 Male Mulatto
39 Male Black
39 Male Black
36 Male Mulatto
36 Male Mulatto
36 Male Black
35 Female Black
35 Female Black
35 Female Black
32 Female Black
30 Female Black
29 Male Black
28 Male Black
27 Male Black
27 Male Black
25 Male Black
25 Female Mulatto
24 Male Black
22 Male Black
22 Female Black
21 Female Black
21 Female Black
21 Male Black
20 Male Black
20 Female Black
20 Male Black
20 Female Black
19 Male Black
17 Male Black
17 Female Black
15 Male Black
14 Male Mulatto
14 Female Black
13 Female Black
12 Female Black
8 Female Black
8 Female Black
8 Male Black
8 Female Black
7 Female Black
7 Female Black
7 Male Black
7 Female Mulatto
7 Male Black
6 Male Black
6 Female Black
6 Male Black
5 Male Black
4 Male Black
4 Female Black
4 Male Black
3 Male Black
2 Male Black
2 Male Black

Total Slaves: 71

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:
Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.

Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Eighth Census of the United States,
1860. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1860. M653, 1,438 rolls.
____

The next slave schedule shows that James A. Scudday quartered 53 slaves in 12 slaves houses in Ward 3 of the parish:

Page No. 27

SCHEDULE 2.-Slave Inhabitants in 3rd Ward in the County of Lafourche State
Of La., enumerated by me, on the 7th day of August, 1860. P A Robichaux Ass't Marshal

Slave Owners

James A Scudday

No. of slave houses: 12

Slave Information

Age Gender Race

60 Male Black
55 Male Black
50 Male Black
40 Male Black
32 Male Mulatto
32 Male Black
30 Female Black
28 Male Black
28 Female Black
27 Male Mulatto
27 Female Black
25 Male Black
25 Male Black
25 Male Black
25 Male Black
24 Male Black
24 Male Black
24 Male Black
23 Male Black
23 Male Mulatto
22 Male Black
22 Male Black
22 Male Mulatto
21 Male Black
21 Male Mulatto
21 Male Black
21 Male Black
20 Female Black
20 Female Mulatto
20 Male Black
20 Male Black
20 Male Black
20 Male Mulatto
19 Male Mulatto
19 Male Mulatto
18 Female Mulatto
18 Female Black
18 Female Black
18 Female Black
17 Male Black
17 Female Mulatto
17 Female Mulatto
16 Male Mulatto
16 Female Black
13 Female Black
10 Female Black
9 Male Black
7 Female Black
7 Male Black
5 Male Black
4 Male Black
1 Female Black
11/12 Male Black

Total No. of slave: 53

Source Information:

Ancestry.com. 1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA:

Original data: United States of America, Bureau of the Census. Eighth Census of the United States,
1860. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 1860. M653, 1,438 rolls.
____

The following enumeration shows that 14 Scudday slaves dwelled in 2 slaves houses, also in the 3rd Ward of Lafourche parish:

Page No. 28

SCHEDULE 2.-Slave Inhabitants in 3rd Ward in the County of Lafourche State
Of La., enumerated by me, on the 7th day of August, 1860. P A Robichaux Ass't Marshal

Slave Owners

J A Scudday

No. of slave houses: 2

Slave Information

Age Gender Race

70 Female Black
41 Female Black
32 Male Mulatto
30 Female Black
28 Female Black
15 Male Black
10 Male Black
8 Female Black
8 Male Black
7 Male Black
5 Female Black
5 Male Black
3 Female Black
2 Male Black

Total No. of slave: 14

Source Information:

____

The three slave schedules added together show that James A. Scudday owned a total of 138 slaves by the year 1860.

I then found James A. Scudday and his children in the 1860 census of free inhabitants living in the 3rd Ward of Lafourche Parish. The Post Office Address listed in this census is Raceland, which is the same Post Office address for the Danos family members seen in the 1860 census noted earlier.

The census shows that by 1860, 56 year old physician, James A. Scudday’s real estate holdings were worth $83,000, while his personal estate was worth $100,000, The census also shows that his wife Margaret is not in the household, which is an indication that she died between 1850 and 1860:

Page No. 71 & 72

SCHEDULE 1.-Free Inhabitants in 3rd Ward in the County of Lafourche State
Of La enumerated by me, on the 7th day of August 1860. P A Robichaux Ass’t Marshal

James A Scudday, 56, Male, Physician, $83,000, $100,000
James A Scudday, 18, Male, C. Student, Louisiana, Attended school within the year
Mary E Scudday, 16, Female, Louisiana, Attended school within the year
Louisa J Scudday, 15, Female, Louisiana, Attended school within the year
Allice M Scudday, 12, Female, Louisiana, Attended school within the year

Source Citation: Year: 1860; Census Place: Ward 3, Lafourche, Louisiana; Roll: M653_413;
Page: 123; Image: 122; Family History Library Film: 803413.
____

For the number of slaves he owned, I figured James Scudday likely held a great deal of property in Lafourche Parish. To see if I could locate information about his land holdings I went to the U.S. General Land Office Records at Ancestry.com, and found that he had acquired government lands totaling over 2000 acres, mostly in Lafourche Parish, but also some land in nearby St. James, Assumption, Ascension, and Terrebonne Parishes. These parcels were issued to James A. Scudday by the U.S. government between the years 1842 and 1848. The land records also show that James Scudday assumed ownership of government land in Alabama, in 1833.

See the index that follows:

U.S. General Land Office Records

Name, State of Record, Issue Date, Meridian, County, Township, Range, Section, Acres

James A Scudday Alabama 30 May 1833 St Stephens Clarke 6-N 2-E 6 80

James A Scudday Louisiana 23 Jun 1842 Louisiana Assumption 12-S 13-E 2 111.35

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 12 160.09

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 13 161.09

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 14 321

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 13 161.09

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 24 160.5

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 11 121.08

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Terrebonne 17-S 15-E 26 173.52

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 10 160.11

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 12 80.45

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche, St James 13-S 17-E 33 160.2

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 Jun 1844 Louisiana Lafourche, St James 13-S 17-E 33 80.1

James A Scudday Louisiana 27 Jan 1845 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 3 159.75

James A Scudday Louisiana 21 May 1845 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 11 80.27

James A Scudday Louisiana 21 May 1845 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 12 160.9

James A Scudday Louisiana 23 Jun 1845 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 11 80.27

James A Scudday Louisiana 17 Feb 1846 Louisiana Terrebonne 20-S 18-E 72 162.9

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 May 1846 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 13 80.54

James A Scudday Louisiana 13 May 1846 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 11 80.27

James A Scudday Louisiana 16 Jun 1846 Louisiana Ascension 11-S 14-E 93 15.75

James A Scudday Louisiana 10 Mar 1847 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 12 80.45

James A Scudday Louisiana 3 Jul 1848 Louisiana Lafourche 14-S 17-E 12 80.45
____

I next looked for James A. Scudday in the 1870 census for Thibodaux, Louisiana, but didn’t find him. Nor did I find him in the 1870 census anywhere in Louisiana or the United States.

But I found more information about James A. Scudday at Ancestry.com’s Public Family Trees, showing that he died on 27 February 1866 in Thibodaux, and is buried in St. John’s Cemetery, in Thibodaux. I’m not sure how accurate the information is about James A. Scudday‘s date of death, as the information is not accompanied by source information:

The entry follows:

James A Scudday

Birth abt 1804 in South Carolina

Death 27 Feb 1866 in Thibadeau, Louisiana

Timeline

1804 abt Birth South Carolina

1840-1845 Age: 36 Mayor, Thibodaux, LaFourche Parish, Louisiana, United States

1841 26 Jul Age: 37 Marriage to Marguerite Aubert, Thibadeau, Lafouche, La USA

1849 30 May Age: 45 Board of Director Guion Academy Thibodeaux, Louisiana, United States
meeting with GW Hunter& Prosper Marchais

1850 Age: 46 Residence Thibodaux, Lafourche, Louisiana

1860 Age: 56 Residence Ward 3, Lafourche, Louisiana 1860 United States Federal Census

1866 27 Feb Age: 62 Death Thibadeau, Louisiana Buried St John's Cemetery, Thibadeau Louisiana.
____

Concerning the Danos family once again, I didn't locate any information that they had owned slaves in Louisiana, or anywhere else in the south in the 1850 and 1860 U.S. Federal Slaves Schedules.

I hope this information has been of interest.

Kind Regards,

Dave Boylan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
august2005 11 Jun 2011 12:41PM GMT 
DaveBoylan 20 Aug 2011 4:39PM GMT 
august2005 2 Nov 2011 10:47AM GMT 
DaveBoylan 10 Nov 2011 5:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic