Search for content in message boards

There should be a list of all Plantations and Family Research related to them

Replies: 7

Re: There should be a list of all Plantations and Family Research related to them

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 9:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Oct 2012 10:00AM GMT
Surnames: Missouri Slaves and Slave Owners
I have been doing plantation and southern research for decades now and not aware of any centralized online site or institution. My focus is Missouri's Little Dixie region, but I do go into other Upper South States. The majority of our settlers and slave owners came here from the Upper South. When researching, I also use the slave census, purchase and sale records, court records, estate records, and other resources. None of these are located in one area or on one site and must be tracked down individually. I have listed some of my work on my web pages, but I have dozens of files in boxes waiting to be added. These files include plantations and slave owners, as well as slaves and their families, from our Little Dixie region. The work is rewarding, but very daunting and I receive no assistance or funding. We have started an organization to help (Missouri’s Little Dixie Heritage Foundation), but getting it going is hard. It certainly is a great idea to have a centralized site, but not sure how practical it is with the large number of research avenues it takes to do this type of history. I am sure one day it will happen.

littledixie.net
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MichaelSMArti... 30 Sep 2012 10:03PM GMT 
garyfuenfh 1 Oct 2012 3:59PM GMT 
MichaelSMArti... 3 Oct 2012 9:26PM GMT 
autogirl2911 23 Mar 2013 2:56PM GMT 
garyfuenfh 26 Mar 2013 1:54PM GMT 
MichaelSMArti... 26 Mar 2013 3:12AM GMT 
Hudnall55 23 Nov 2013 6:09PM GMT 
MichaelSMArti... 5 Dec 2013 3:38AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions