Search for content in message boards

Corinth or Carreuth Cemetary

Replies: 4

Re: Corinth or Carreuth Cemetary

Posted: 10 Aug 2012 7:53PM GMT
Classification: Query
Question: who or what is Jay Lock?

Here is the scoop:
James Paul Williams and his wife, Emeline Dees Williams lived near Corinth in the 1870's-80 (S28,T11,R23). He had several children who died, George W Williams was killed in a boiler explosion at a lumber mill in or near Perote. The mill was owned by the Jernigan family and it was about a mile or so from their place. The boiler exploded and he was scalded. He was able to walk home where he passed out and died. He had a small son who died within the year. George had a sister Louise Fannie Davenport who died in 1874 or so. He had two other sisters Sallie Williams and Mollie Williams who also died in the same two decades. The family lost their land in the 90's and moved to Coffee Co. In James' last years he & Emeline moved to his daughters home in the Tennille postal area. Her name was Martha or "Mattie Braswell. She was married to James Jefferson Davis "Jeff" Braswell (Braziel). Family search excerpts of his death cert have him dying in March of 1916 in Pike Co. They seem to have lived in the corner of Pike and Coffee. If Emeline buried her children at or near Corinth or even Perote it would stand to reason that she would want her husband buried there as well and it wouldn't have been too far. I have been looking for his grave for about a year. I ended up identifying another confed. soldier with the same name at New Hope Cem. Researchers of old had listed the grave as belonging to JP and not the rightful James.

I would love to know more about the Jernigan saw mill and explosion. Thus far I don't have a date only a year (ca. 1877). I haven't found the article in the local newspapers of the time but haven't searched them throughly only as time allows when I am there.

Thanks for allllll the help.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
melis181 9 Aug 2012 12:34AM GMT 
GHoneyDip 10 Aug 2012 1:59AM GMT 
melis181 10 Aug 2012 2:43AM GMT 
GHoneyDip 10 Aug 2012 10:57PM GMT 
melis181 11 Aug 2012 1:53AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic