Search for content in message boards

Samuel David Gross Brothers of Jacksonville SDG & family

Replies: 2

Samuel David Gross Brothers of Jacksonville SDG & family

Posted: 7 Jan 2013 9:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brothers Downing Wyly
I have the great fortune to be transcribing a collection of family letters from the late 1800s. It is very slow work as I try to be as thorough as possible.

One letter is from my ancestor's cousin, Samuel David Gross Brother aka SDG Brothers, of Jacksonville, Alabama, where he was a lawyer, and for a while, mayor. I have lots of info on him--

Born 19 June 1858 died 25 January 1901 (although there are some discrepencies regarding the date of death), son of Dr Philip H Brothers and Jency Downing, grandson of Patton Brothers. He married Ella Wyly (I do NOT have additional info on her beyond the names of her parents), and they had three children: Frank P (b. Jan 1889), Ethel D (b. Aug 1894-- her middle name MAY have been Downing), & Ella W (b 23 Sept 1897 d 25 Aug 1900). I also know eventually there was a granddaughter named Eleanor who was living in the early 1970s.

I also have found various entries on Sam from biographical dictionaries and contemporary newspapers, even a line drawing of him from a newspaper.

But what I do not have are photos. If anyone has a photo of Sam, his family, anyone in his family (I do know of the photo of his parents at Ancestry.com), or even his grandfather, Patton Brothers (from whom I am descended), OR knows of a location of a photo, please let me know. (The online digital collection at the Anniston Library doesn't have one, but it's possible a photo exists in a book there or such. I currently to do not have access to the library but we are planning a trip to Anniston).

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I really do appreciate it.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
beket1 7 Jan 2013 4:55PM GMT 
seprice7 5 Mar 2014 1:36PM GMT 
beket1 5 Mar 2014 4:07PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic