Search for content in message boards

Christopher Winlock Pearson m. Sarah Ann Pearson

Replies: 14

Re: Christopher Winlock Pearson m. Sarah Ann Pearson

Posted: 10 May 2013 9:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Winlock's brother Nathan's wife, I believe, was Native American. Her name was Hattie Morningstar (Morning Star). The reason I'm so interested in the Native American history in the family is that from the line of Emily's husband Hillard, I'm a Muscogee Creek descendant. Hillard was 1/8 Creek. I'm a Historical Research Adviser on the research team for the Perdido Bay Tribe of Lower Muscogee Creek Indians and always interested in trying to verify any of my own Native American connections. I'm part Cherokee from my dad's side. My half-sister's dad was an enrolled Chickasaw. And my step-father was a descendant of a brother of Pocahontas. I'm related directly or as a cousin to a number of Native American lines from among the Creek, Cherokee and Choctaw but have little info on any of them in my direct line other than my Creek heritage. Since John Carney was Choctaw and Emily married a Creek descendant and given what my close family members have said about the Choctaw link, I don't doubt one bit that there was Choctaw in Annie's family. I would think it would possibly have come in on her mother's side since we know the Pearson line was a line of English Quakers. I have a lot of info on the Pearsons and their Quaker ancestry. Anyway, the fact that we have so much detail on Winlock, Lucretia, etc. but not even a last name for Elizabeth, that is "sometimes" an indication of a Native American wife because there were no records for most of them. And most families back then tried to deny being Indian because of the prejudices against them. So they took white names and tried to pass for white and told their children not to admit to having Indian in them. We see this all the time, and I've heard so many stories. And here's one. My son's paternal grandmother is 92. He spent most of last summer with her and they were looking at old family photos, etc. and he asked her if there was any Native American anywhere in her family history. She told him, "No". Then about two weeks ago out of the blue she admitted to him that she herself is 1/8 Creek, told him about her mother and grandmother that it came from, etc. and theyve talked about it again since then. But they were brought up not to admit it. I guess she's getting older and thought she'd go ahead and let someone know before she dies. That's what Aunt Ada did too. She first denied it and then later told me about how Emily was conceived and confirmed to me they were Choctaw, told me where Annie is buried, etc. So, this is part of my Pearson ancestry that I have run into a brick wall, that no one else I know is old enough to have been alive back then to know the facts and fill me in. You've already sorted out and given me more than I had. I hadn't even had Sarah Ann's siblings names before tonight. I can't thank you enough.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MicheleSPayne... 11 May 2013 2:14AM GMT 
koccv 11 May 2013 2:21AM GMT 
koccv 11 May 2013 2:58AM GMT 
MicheleSPayne... 11 May 2013 3:13AM GMT 
koccv 11 May 2013 3:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic