Search for content in message boards

Common ancestor: James S. Brown, b. 1780 (1780-1787 some records)

Replies: 2

Common ancestor: James S. Brown, b. 1780 (1780-1787 some records)

Posted: 27 Sep 2009 12:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN, SULLINS, WHITE, YORK, CHADWICK, RUSSELL, ADKINS, STEELE
I attended the Keith Reunion 9/26/2009 in Fort Payne, AL and confirmed that we had a common ancestor James S. Brown, b. 1780 (from a son's obit). The Keith connection came through James Galston (aka James G.) Brown, a son of James first marriage, and my line came from a son (William Erby Brown)from the second marriage to Helen Anna Kelley. There were several other lines that Keiths and myself had people who married into various lines or were otherwise related. Such surnames as WHITE, YORK, BROWN,STEELE, ADKINS, CHADWICK, RUSSELL, and others can be found as relatives.

DeKalb, AL tends to have a lot of lines that intermarried...partly due to difficulty of travel in the early days and the fact that Ft. Payne is a valley between Lookout Mountain and Sand Mountain and the valley was where businesses were more available due to the railroad and the roads of the time.

Much work has been done on the line of James S. Brown, but little has been found on his first wife. Any information on this woman would be appreciated. James might have married her in KY or NE part of TN, or maybe Blout County where his son Edward was thought born.

James' son James Galston Brown was md to Serena (unknown in past), now thought to be Serena Sullins; a researcher & descendant of James G. found this name written on a slip of paper and tucked into the family bible. Maybe not conclusive evidence, but a suggestive piece of history. They would have likely md in TN, county unknown at present.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LF6818 27 Sep 2009 6:20PM GMT 
LF6818 2 Aug 2012 6:06PM GMT 
LF6818 2 Aug 2012 6:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic