Search for content in message boards

Gould family and farm, slaves and farm hands

Replies: 1

Re: Gould family and farm, slaves and farm hands

Posted: 23 May 2012 9:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gould, Chotard
I am looking for the same information. My great, great, great, great grandmother is Alice Gould of Green County. She married Louis Gould. Family legend has it that he was a slave from another area, he took Alice's last name (Gould) when they married. I have a living great grandmother who is 93, and this is her great grandmother. I have info that she was born about 1843 and died in 1924. I am still researching to find out if she was a slave of William P., and or Eliza, or John Mckee. I found a record of a court case against William P. Gould for mistreatment of slaves, and my ancestor was not listed. I found information about my Gould's from an 1870 census. Research shows that they may have been free persons of color prior to the civil war. I found information that Eliza Chotard Gould wrote an autobiography. This is where my research ends, but you may want to check that 1870 census with my ancestors names on it, since it may list others in that area. If you find anything dealing with my ancestors please respond to me.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LizPotterG 30 Jul 2008 1:44AM GMT 
keisag34 24 May 2012 3:41AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic