Search for content in message boards

Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Replies: 9

Re: Brown family in Cherokee Nation and early Jackson County, 1800s

Posted: 21 Sep 2012 1:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BROWN
Let's go back to the marriage record of John L. A. Brown and Penelope M. Moore in Madison Co., AL in 1826. I think that on the 1850 Jackson Co. census, the M. probably stands for Mary and perhaps that is the name that she preferred.

I have no idea when she died; however, I am skeptical that John married an Indian unless it was after he moved to Dekalb Co. I don't have any connection in my Brown family to anyone of Indian descent.

It would appear from the names of John's children that he was an educated man and perhaps enjoyed reading classic literature. I will tell you that Jeremiah Brown's sons were educated and that my G-GF was Sen. C. W. Brown of the AL State Senate, attended West Point, but graduated from the Univ. of AL and that his brother, Jesse Edward lost a leg in the Civil War, became an attorney and Judge in Jackson Co. John A. Brown built the "Brown-Proctor" house in Scottsboro that now houses the Heritage Center.

Thomas Norman Brown (eldest son of John A.) moved to Jack Co., TX along with the rest of this family after their father died along with their Mother, Judith America Wisdom.
In the generations of this family, the name "Penelope" is seen several times.

Jeremiah Brown's 2nd oldest son was named "Bridges J. Brown" and the last that I find of him he was in a hospital in Richmond, VA 1862. We know that he died. He left no descendants. The oldest daughter was Nancy, but we know little of her except that she married a Mr. Yates and moved away. This is the reason that I believe that the parents of John, Jeremiah and Jesse were John and Nancy Cotton Bridges and that they did come to AL from NC, but I do not have any other records to support this except for family tradition.

As for Jesse Brown, the other brother: In the Will of Jeremiah Brown, he left "the Jesse Brown tract of land" to his oldest son, John A. This would lead me to believe that he died sometime before 1860 and left no wife or heirs.

I live in FL and seldom get back to Jackson Co. these days as I have very few living relatives there now. If any of you still live anywhere near Huntsville, I would suggest that you make a trip to the library and look up court records for this Brown family. I wish that I was able to do so, but, unfortunately, cannot make the trip often now.

If you would like to contact me directly, my email is macatjax@comcast.net

Mary M. Johnson

P. S. The land patents are on line for Jackson Co.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LF6818 1 Sep 2008 6:23PM GMT 
LF6818 1 Sep 2008 6:48PM GMT 
heather3433 22 Sep 2009 4:47PM GMT 
Mjohns039 11 Dec 2011 11:53PM GMT 
LF6818 18 Sep 2012 11:05PM GMT 
susiet5775 18 Sep 2012 9:46PM GMT 
LF6818 18 Sep 2012 11:31PM GMT 
LF6818 18 Sep 2012 11:12PM GMT 
Mjohns039 21 Sep 2012 7:06PM GMT 
LF6818 21 Sep 2012 10:51PM GMT 
per page