Search for content in message boards

Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Replies: 3

Re: Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 2:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm not through playing. I looked at one of your trees and noticed the name Whitecotton. The name Houston Texas dates the person in and of itself. I'm going to look at the tribal enrollment roles for Hills. And I'll see if I can find anything on the Whitecotton name. Interesting name.

The Creeks, at one time, were in northern AL. And the Tallapoosa River forms in GA and runs into AL. Much of this territory was shared by both Creeks and Cherokees. It is highly likely that a group of Creeks were known as the Tallapoosa. Tallapoosa means Grandmother Town.

I probably won't find anything but I love to look as I have time.

It took me quite awhile to realize that some (many) of my ancestors were sharecroppers. I never saw that term applied to them. But they were poor, white, landless farmers and logic tells you that decades ago whites and others (blacks) would rent cropland, borrow money for seed, and then pay the debt with part of the harvest. Hard money was too hard to come by.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
trophyhfm 2 Jun 2013 1:02PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 4:39PM GMT 
trophyhfm 6 Jun 2013 5:42PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 8:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions