Search for content in message boards

Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Replies: 3

Re: Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Posted: 6 Jun 2013 11:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hill/ Busby/ Parker/ Elkins / Powell
Thank you so much for your reply. Your take on all of this is the only one that truly makes fits.

The Indian part of all this comes from my grandmother. Growing up she would say "You know, you can go to school for free, you are an Indian." My aunt asked her to give her information about the tribe and any other information about the "Native american" ancestry. My aunt had her write it down and this is what she came up with...

Muskogee Creek Indians and their tribe was the Tallapoosa Tribe. I could be wrong but I believe there is not a Tallapoosa Tribe and the creek Indians did not come from TN.

Another possibility... Joseph Hill's first wife, mattie, had a Brother named, Charlie Monroe Powell/Elkins, he has said to have married a full blooded Cherokee, Houston Texas Whitecotton. Joseph mother died when he was young and if he spent any time with his Uncle and Aunt, he might have pasted those stories to my grandmother, in return the story got out of hand... Kind of like playing telephone as a kid.

I truly appropriate the time and energy you put into looking this up for me and answering my post. Granted, no documentation of it, but it fits more than anything else and it gives me a place to jump off. BTW, I had no idea what a sharecropper was, but I did look it up and on all of the census records of Joseph say that he rented not owned where he lived.... It fits.

Again, thank you
Heather
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
trophyhfm 2 Jun 2013 1:02PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 4:39PM GMT 
trophyhfm 6 Jun 2013 5:42PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 8:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions