Search for content in message boards

Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Replies: 3

Joseph H. Hill b.abt 1853

Posted: 2 Jun 2013 7:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hill/ Busby/ Parker/ Elkins / Powell
I am looking for my gg grandfather… Joseph H. HILL. I have seen many records either list him or he calls himself J.H.HILL or Joe HILL.
Despite his birth date being listed between 1853-1855, his birthplace always remains consistent, Tennessee.

Joseph married a woman by the name of Martha J ELKINS in 1876, Madison Co, Alabama. Martha J. ELKINS, or Mattie, was originally a POWELL and she took her Stepfather’s name ELKINS when her mother Charity UPTON married John POWELL in 1874.
Martha J. ELKINS b. 1854 She was possibly born in DeKalb Co, Alabama and given where her family was located, she probably died in Paint Rock, Alabama.

Joseph and Mattie had four, maybe five, children
Ardella (Della) HILL. b.1879 d. 1968. Della married a BRADSHAW- born in Paint Rock, Alabama
Charlie Monroe (“Roe”) HILL b. 1881 d.1978 Charlie married Ada BUSBY and they had 8 children. Charlie is my great grandfather. Born in Paint Rock, Alabama
Lucinda HILL b.1884 d.1971, Born in Alabama, maybe Paint Rock ? I know she married three times and had a number of kids.

The last child between Joseph and Mattie is unknown, but could he could possibly be named Henry. The story that was handed down was that Mattie died either during childbirth or right after the last child was born and this child was left with the ELKINS family to be raised. I heard a story that Mattie was bitten by a dog that had rabies, but I don’t know if that is correct.

Right after Mattie Died, Joseph married a woman by the name of Mary PARKER in Madison Co, Alabama in 1889. She brought two children into the family from a pervious marriage. I have a heightened suspension that Mary PARKER is Mary, maiden name BUSBY. If this is true, that would mean Joseph’s son, Charlie, married his stepmother’s niece, Ada BUSBY. (No blood relation, I guess this give my family no excuses for being crazy, we just are.)
Mary PARKER (maybe BUSBY) b. 1863 d. 1905 in Wood Co., TX?

May Belle PARKER or POTTER or PATTEE b. about 1882
Jas PARKER b. 1887

I have no information on either one of those children.

Soon after Joseph and Mary married, they all packed up and headed west to Wood County, TX, per the 1900 Census. On this census record, 5 more children appear.
Nolia HILL b. 1895
Welo HILL b. 1895 (Same person as Nolia, I don’t know????)
Robert HILL b. 1897
Joe HILL b. 1900
Schley HILL b. 1900 (Again, is this the same person as Joe?)

In the 1910 Census, Mary disappeared and Joseph is now a widow. So, I believe Mary Died sometime in 1905

In 1914, Joseph married a third woman by the name of Sallie NUGENT, NEWGENT, NEUGENT. They had one child.
William HILL b.1917 d.? born in Wood Co, Tx. (Yes, Joe Hill was 65, when he had his son…gezzzz)

I pulled up William’s BC and it stated that Joe HILL was born in Frankling (sic) Co, TN, which I presume is Franklin Co, TN.

I believe Joseph HILL died between 1920 and 1930. He probably died in Wood Co, TX.

Sallie is listed in the 1930 census as widowed and living in Oklahoma with William.

I grew up being told that Joseph Hill was a full blooded Indian chief, which I have found no evidence of, or could have been made up by my grandmother. I am not discounting anything, yet. but that would explain why he is my brick wall. If anyone has any information on any of these people…PLEASE HELP!!!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
trophyhfm 2 Jun 2013 1:02PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 4:39PM GMT 
trophyhfm 6 Jun 2013 5:42PM GMT 
jrytrplt 6 Jun 2013 8:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions