Search for content in message boards

Hammons/Hammonds

Replies: 4

Re: Hammons/Hammonds

Posted: 4 Sep 2013 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
Thank you so much for the information you posted on my Hammons. I have been tracing this family line for over 30 years and every tidbit helps. I have long suspected the Haston's first name was John.
According to family lore John C. Hammons, Haston's and Sally's son was always called "Little John". I have never been able to find any document that showed John C's middle name. You have as Cleveland, which is interesting since John C. Hammons and Catherine Morgan had a son named Daniel Cleveland Hammons. As a side note. Kittie Morgan Hammons was the daughter of Daniel P. Morgan and Susan Margaret Thompson of Sumner Co., TN. By all accounts Daniel P. Morgan was quite a character. He is part of the Morgan line from Sumner Co., TN.

Haston and Sally Hammons son Martin Mark C. Hammons was born 3 Nov 1860 and died 2 March 1899. He was married to Margaret Ellen P. McMillen. After his death she married Elbert Feaster and when he died she married John C. Hammons, brother of Martin Hammons his brother. They later divorced and he married Mary Malinda Robertson,

I have never been able to find any info on the other children of John C. and Kittie Morgan Hammons. I know that again according to family lore that tuberuloisis (sp) was very bad in this line.

In looking over my notes I'm afraid I don't see in any of the census records a Sarah/Sally Hammons, older sister to Nancy.

1850 Jackson County, Alabama Census Distict 19 12/3/1850 55/99
Hammons Horton 24 M Farmer Unknown (1826)
Hammons Sarah 23 F Unknown (1827)
Hammons Nancy 3 F Alabama
Hammons John 2/12 M Alabama

1860 Mo Census for Benton County, Warsaw Twp. pg. 237-238 shows MO22946142
Aston Hammond 37 North Carolina (1823)
Sarah 32 Alabama (1828)
Nancy 12 Alabama
John 9 Alabama
Patience 6 MO
Francis 4 MO
Mark 1 MO

I too have been reseaching the Barrier family. I have a pretty good handle on Mariah Copenhaver Barrier's children. My one exception is Thomas Barrier. He married a woman named Fannie. I have never been able to find a marriage record for them or a birth/death record for either one. Or a last name for Fannie.

It's funny how one finds leads in genealogy. Family lore had Sally Barrier as being referred to as "Sow Byers" not very flattering I must say, so for years I looked all over Alabama for a Sally/Sarah Byers. It was only by pure luck that I happened upon a Mariah Barrier living next door to a Horton Hammons in the 1850 Jackson Co., AL census and by doing a little guessing figured that Barrier not Byers was Sally's maiden name. Unfortunately I have not found a marriage record for Haston and Sally.

Finding the parents of John Haston Hammons has certainly been a brick wall. There are two separate lines of Hammons in Jackson Co., AL. One is Phillip Hamman line and the other is the John Hammons line of Warren Co., TN. I have traced both lines and can't see where Haston fits in either one. What is interesting is that Valentine Hamman, son of Phillip Hamman also settled in Benton Co., MO before Haston and his family arrived. Valentine had a son born between 1825 and 1830, but since Valentine Hamman could not be found in the 1840 census, I have no idea if the son died or could possibly be Haston. Valentine Hammans died around 1862 at the same time so many were being killed in their own fields. His wife predeceased him. He had one son showing in the 1850 census be he died young. Valentine died without a will, but had two daughters that laid claim to his estate. Given that Haston died about the same time i wondered if that is why Haston's famuly made no claim to the estate. Or Haston wasn't related at all and it was just one of those quirky things that the two men ended up in the same place. Interesting though that they would end up within miles of one another in Benton Co., MO.

I would be happy to share anything I have on the Barrier family and I would appreciate any info that you come across on Haston Hammons and his possible parents.

Best Regards, Lynda
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lmonnig 5 Nov 2001 11:01PM GMT 
JJLobos37 25 Jul 2002 2:23AM GMT 
cupidan 23 Jan 2013 8:02PM GMT 
AMarkward 5 Sep 2013 12:55AM GMT 
cupidan 5 Sep 2013 4:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions