Search for content in message boards

Looking for African American slave info

Replies: 6

Looking for African American slave info

Posted: 18 Jan 2011 12:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rozell, Brock, Frasier, Hubbert
I'm tracing Francis Rozell 1912-1965 who was really special to me. I want to leave something for her descendants in case they go looking some day. She was the dtr of James L Rozell b 1863 Alabama (parents unknown)and Sarah E "Lizzie" Brock b 1877 in AL listed as "mulatto". Sarah E Brock was the dtr of Joseph (one census) Brock and another he is listed as Josiah and the third he is listed as Joe b 1836 in AL parents unknown. Sarah E. Brock's mother was Francis b. 1846 in AL also listed as "mulatto" and d in Lamar 1932. Joe and Francis m. in 1862 probably Marion/Lamar/Fayette Co. Any info appreciated to learn more about any of these people.

I find (white) Brocks in the area and a James Brock is listed as owner of a 4 yr. old "mulatto" female in 1850 Fayette Co which very well could be Sarah E Brock that marries in 1862 only I can't find a 14 yr. old mulatto listed in 1860 in Fayette Co belonging to James Brock. In fact I can't find James Brock Sr at all in 1860. I looked through all the Brocks and every slave record in Fayette and I don't see a 14 yr. old Mulatto female belonging to any name I recognize so not sure where to go from here. Ideas appreciated.

Another confusing detail is I find trees on ancestry that list Joseph Brock marrying Mary Francis Turner and they are sourced with the census's of the people I am tracing, but the tree belongs to a Caucasian woman who was unaware the sourced records were a black/mulatto couple so I kind of think two trees got tangled up together here. Also since they m. in 1862 would you think Francis would even have a maiden name? Or would you think if they both belonged to James Brock and m. in 1862 then they would have just taken the Brock name backing up the unlikeliness that a "Mary Francis Turner" m. Joe Brock in 1862? My guess is that Joseph Brock and Mary Francis Turner were a white couple not related to the tree I am working on and that Josiah/Joseph Brock m. Francis and neither had last names unless free in 1862 and I don't find them on any census so probably weren't free.

I ordered Mary Francis Brocks death cert to try and untangle the two trees. How would I determine if the Joe I am tracing is Josiah vs Joseph and how would I go about proving who they belonged to if not free?

Any pointers welcome. This is the first African American tree I've worked on.
Thank you!
Dianne
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
montanapets 18 Jan 2011 7:47AM GMT 
williamfcraig... 27 Jan 2011 4:03PM GMT 
williamfcraig... 27 Jan 2011 4:22PM GMT 
montanapets 27 Jan 2011 4:45PM GMT 
JYKing 18 Apr 2012 11:10AM GMT 
montanapets 19 Apr 2012 6:14AM GMT 
demetreus444 24 Dec 2012 6:36PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions