Search for content in message boards

Stone Familiy surname in Lauderdale County Alabama (or on land prior to)

Replies: 3

Stone Familiy surname in Lauderdale County Alabama (or on land prior to)

Posted: 31 Jul 2012 8:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Jul 2012 8:48AM GMT
Surnames: Stone
I am researching Stone families who were in the area of the Indian lands that became Tn, Ky, North MS and North Alabama .. see Chickasaw Land ( - Hardeman Cty Tn + part of Hardin Cty Tn, North Alabama..etc see Chickasaw Seccession aka Jackson Purchase)
. When you look into Tennessee settlements, you find that the majority was once included in Washington Cty, NC. There is on Ancestry, an online book which explains much of the early settlements known as the Cumberland Settlements, the bid for statehood, and the division into 3 counties in Tennessee and again divided many times. Pvt Wm Stone ( our ancestor 's tombstone ( 1796-1880) says he served in Capt Cloyds Tn Militia. There exists a list of that Davidson District unit about 1812, but our Pvt Wm Stone is not on it. I have not found how long Capt Cloyd was in charge. Next we have the statements of sons Josiah and Jeremiah that they were born in Kentucky, whereas the younger children say born in Alabama. Josiah Arthur STONE , son of Pvt William Stone is our connection . I have most of the obvious records from 1850 forward, by then they were in North Mississippi, but do not have much prior data.
There was another Stone family in early Alabama Lauderdale County - Thomas Stone married there abt 1833 and he and his family stayed there.
.....Our Stones were in Lauderdale Cty Alabama census of 1840 and Jeremiah Stone ( a son of William) married there 1842 to Susan Howard(1824-1900). However, by 1846 had moved into Mississippi along with his father and siblings. Did you find land or other records for Alabama ? When researching In Ala , did you see any connection between Pvt Wm Stone's family and Thomas Stone's family? I am hoping you will make copies of your research papers available to us , perhaps by taking photos and attaching them to Pvt Wm Stone on Ancestry.

I do have this : Marshall County Ms, Established: February 9, 1836
Parent County: Chickasaw Land ( as was part of adjacent to the north - Hardeman Cty Tn + part of Hardin Cty Tn.. see Chickasaw Seccession aka Jackson Purchase)
County Seat: Holly Springs. There were several border shifts with adjacent counties.

On genweb -Ms- Marshall County site - tax lists copied as whole pages of film... sifted for Stone households by year:
1837 Robert, Bennett ( this group may be Hardeman Cty Tn gp)
1838 Bennett, Joel, Robert, & GW
1839 Sam, Bennett
1841 Eli, Gabriel, John
1842 Gabriel, John, Eli
1843; Mathilda Mrs Malinde, Bennett, Gabriel,
Did you find any Probate records for any of these Stone families in Mississippi?
..now...notice the new Stone families in 1846 include our Stone group...
1846 William, Josiah, Jeremiah, James, , John A, Thomas, Samuel, Melinde & Bennett Stone
You may have the land purchase record and I was hoping for confirmation of his prior residence on the deed.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kayrisher 31 Jul 2012 2:03PM GMT 
kayrisher 24 Aug 2012 4:11PM GMT 
kayrisher 14 Sep 2013 11:05PM GMT 
kked25 1 Jun 2014 3:30PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions