Search for content in message boards

Tintypes of presumed Herston, Butler, Richardson, McDonald family members

Replies: 1

Tintypes of presumed Herston, Butler, Richardson, McDonald family members

Posted: 20 Jan 2013 3:34AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 27 Jan 2013 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Herston, Butler, Richardson, McDonald
I have in my possession the tintypes and photographs which belonged to Elizabeth Richardson McDonald (1838-1912), daughter of Samuel H. Richardson (1808-1873) and Mary "Polly" Butler (1809-1890), and wife of James Stephen McDonald (1831-1896).

According to family history, the pictures are of our Alabama relatives on the McDonald/Richardson/Herston/Butler side of the family. Unfortunately, none of the tintypes are labeled, so I cannot verify that oral history. I would be happy to share the tintypes and photos with anyone who is interested. The entire album is here: (http://tinyurl.com/Tintypes-ElizabethRMcDonald). If anyone wants me to email the entire zip file of photos and tintypes, please send me a message with your email address.

One of the tintypes strongly resembles a picture posted on ancestry.com of Nancy Elizabeth Herston Butler. I suspect my tintype is a picture of Nancy in her teens. For a comparison of the identified picture with my tintype, go here: (http://tinyurl.com/Tintypes-comparison). The original tintype is here: (tinyurl.com/tintypes-3women).

I've minimized the links using tinyurl.com, but all the above links are safe and go directly to my photobucket album. Based on my own, amateur research, I suspect the tintypes were all taken prior to the Civil War in Lauderdale County, Alabama. I have no way of verifying that for certain.

You will note that in a few of the tintypes there are a few very dark complected individuals. Specifically, there is a woman in a few tintypes and a young boy, perhaps 10-12 years old, both of whom look like they could be Native American. As with many of us on these message boards, our family history claims there is Cherokee blood in the family. One family member, Mary Jane McDonald (1868-1940), daughter of Elizabeth Richardson and James Stephen McDonald, supposedly "proved up" in order to obtain government benefits from the state of Oklahoma based on her verified "Indian" heritage. My grandmother was repeatedly told that her Aunt Mary Jane "proved up" in order to get scholarships for her sons in Oklahoma, and that she had been able to find the necessary documentation to satisfy the state as to our family's heritage. However, we lost touch with Mary Jane McDonald's family and thus I have no way to verify this story. From my own research, I can't find any such proof. The closest I have come is in noticing the dark complected subjects in these tintypes and verifying Gabriel Butler's presence as a tenant on Chief Doublehead's reservation. That is probably not sufficient proof of Cherokee heritage, in my opinion, as it is all circumstantial in nature.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bjcurtis3 20 Jan 2013 10:34AM GMT 
bjcurtis3 28 Jan 2013 6:31AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions