Search for content in message boards

James Gibson Montgomery

Replies: 2

James Gibson Montgomery

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 10:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Montgomery,Shields,Stephenson,Steele
I am seaching for the first wife of James Gibson Montgomery known only as a Miss Shields who he married somewhere in Tennessee and had two children by her. His second wife was a Mary Steele who he married in Limestone County,Alabama about 1823.
This is the source for the Miss Shields: http://files.usgwarchives.net/al/dallas/bios/gbs465montgome....
1850 census of Limestone Co,Alabama:
James G. Montgomery age 70 b. NC.
Martha M. Montgomery,age 25 b. Alabama. She married James Harvey Stephenson,son of My Samuel Stephenson and Mary Shields in Limestone County,Alabma in 1853.
Mary A. Montgomery, age 22 b.Alabama
David C. Montgomery,age 20 b.Alabama.
James Gibson Montgomery was the son of James Montgomery and Ann Woods from Mecklenburg County,North Carolina.
I suspect that James Gibson Montgomery might have been connected to the several Montgomerys' who settled early in Giles County,TN and were neighbors to the Shields in the Elk Ridge community of Giles Co,TN.My Samuel Stephenson is on the 1820 census of Giles Co,TN.My Samuel Stephenson settled in Limestone Co,Alabama in 1822.
Samuel Stephenson had a sister Margaret who married a James Montgomery in York Co,SC in 1817 and James Montgomery and his wife Margaret Stephenson went to Giles Co,TN before 1820. After 1820 James Montgomery disappears. There is a book on line called "Archibald Steele and his Descendants" Mary Steele who married James Gibson Montgomery is included in this book. The author of the Archibald Steele book claimed that James Gibson Montgomery's first wife was a Margaret Stephenson. James Harvey Stephenson who married Martha M. Montgomery is also in the book. My Stephenson surname is spelled "Stepherson" in the Archibald Steele book. Archibald Steele settled in York County,SC and did my Stephensons which included Samuel Stephenson.
George Alexander Stephenson,son of my Samuel Stephenson,is on the 1880 census of Limestone Co,Alabama.
James Gibson Montgomery is buried in the Montgomery Cemetery near Elkmont.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Stephenson27 8 Dec 2012 5:33AM GMT 
Peachie57 6 Oct 2013 9:10PM GMT 
Stephenson27 6 Oct 2013 9:54PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic