Search for content in message boards

Patterson Family in Drane, Fostoria and Braggs in Lowndes County between 1850 and 1900

Replies: 0

Patterson Family in Drane, Fostoria and Braggs in Lowndes County between 1850 and 1900

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 8:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Patterson, Drane, Arnold, Magruder
I am researching my wife's Patterson relatives in Lowndes County, Alabama. Her grandmother was Carrie Drane Patterson whose mother Mary Arnold Patterson and grandfather Charles M. (I believe McCall) Patterson, Sr. died in a house fire in the Drane Community near Fostoria in Lowndes County, Alabama in January, 1900.

On the 1900 US Census Carrie was living in Lowndes County with her father, Charles McCall Patterson, Jr., and two of her brothers, Norborn Murray Patterson and Walter Earl Patterson. Her other brother Colvin was adopted by Ron Godwin. Carrie was later adopted Charles Bruner and his wife. A sister of Carrie's, name unknown to me died in the fire. Her father, Charles M. Patterson, Jr. remarried Sallie Lola (Maiden name unknown) Patterson in 1902 and he lived with his son Walter in Dallas County, Alabama until his death in 1937.

Charles M. Patterson, Sr. was born in South Carolina in about 1840. In the 1860 US Census, he was living with his mother, Sarah H. Patterson, maiden name unknown, in Braggs, Lowndes County, Alabama. No adult male was in the household. He appears to have had a brother William Patterson. His mother was still alive on the 1866 Alabama Census. according to census records, Sarah H. Patterson and her husband were both born in South Carolina. Sara was born in about 1800 and I have not found her on any other census. I assume she probably died before 1870.

Charles M. Patterson, Sr. married Clarinda R. Drane on 10 Sep 1860 in Lowndes County, Alabama. Clarinda was a daughter of Dr. Walter Drane and his wife Alithia Magruder both of whom were born in Columbia, Georgia. Clarinda R. Drane Patterson was dead before the fire in 1900.

If anyone knows anything about Sarah H. Patterson's background, locations in South Carolina where the family lived, Sarah's husband's name or her maiden name I'd greatly appreciate any lead.

Find a board about a specific topic