Search for content in message boards

Ichabod C Hill, son of James and Sarah Hill of Georgia and Alabama

Replies: 0

Ichabod C Hill, son of James and Sarah Hill of Georgia and Alabama

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hill, Darden
Greetings, I am Jerry McDowell and have been researching Hill families for almost 40 years. Several weeks ago in Feb. 2013, I completed a two week trip through Georgia and Alabama working on one particular James Hill born about 1795-1798 in Georgia. Most of the sites I'm seeing on ancestry.com agree that he married first Martha Darden and then her sister Sarah Darden. Few, if any, know that after he moved to Monroe County, GA, he married Sarah Clark, a widow and so the census records from 1850-1880 show James with a wife named Sarah, but she is NOT Sarah Darden Hill. Many of the sites show that James' father was a John Hill married to a Sarah Henry and depending on which census you read, James was born in one of four different states. Each of the 1850-1880 census records show his birth either in Tennessee (1850), South Carolina (1860), Mississippi (1870), or Georgia (1880) - Georgia is correct in my opinion. If you have proof that James' father was a John Hill (some say from the Surry/Stokes County Hills in NC) would you please share it. I believe that information to be incorrect but welcome your comments and proof. One Robert Hill, Sr. died with a will in 1825 in Warren County, GA and named a son James Hill. This Robert Hill family, both ancestors and descendants, were highly intermarried with the Darden family. For a James Hill to come out of another state and marry into this family seems highly speculative. I have traced James through Warren and Monroe County, GA and to Marion and Lamar Counties, AL where his son Ichabod had a number of liens/trust deeds in the 1870s and 1880s. I would love to put to rest who the father of James is as I am completing my writing of this Hill family. I have traced the family back to North Carolina and Virginia to about 1700 with plenty of supporting documentation. I'll be happy to share my thoughts and I would be most appreciative if anyone can help me. I know that Ichabod's death certificate says his father was born in Miss, but obviously Ichabod didn't fill out that death certificate; it was completed by his son/informant John Thomas Hill of Sulligent, AL where the family lived from about 1860 forward. John Thomas Hill did get James' wife's name and mother of Ichabod as Sarah Clark correct. Ichabod's name in 1870-1880 was spelled Cade; it was never shown in any record as "Caine" - perhaps someone can clarify that as well. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Jerry McDowell, www.hillebooks.com and www.mcdowellgenealogy.com.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions