Search for content in message boards

Martha Ruth "Minnie" (Baker) Caldwell (18 Apr 1885 - 29 Jan 1966) - AL/GA

Replies: 0

Martha Ruth "Minnie" (Baker) Caldwell (18 Apr 1885 - 29 Jan 1966) - AL/GA

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 11:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Mar 2013 11:38AM GMT
Surnames: Baker, Caldwell, Carroll, Gates
I'm looking for the parents of one of my great-great grandmothers, Martha Ruth "Minnie" Baker. She was born on April 18, 1885 in Alabama; I don't know the county. On March 11, 1900 in Shelby County, Alabama, she married Benjamin Franklin "Ben" Caldwell. He was born on May 20, 1881 in Alabama (again, I don't know the county) and died on August 29, 1956 at Bryce Hospital in Tuscaloosa, Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. His parents were William Alexander and Elizabeth Mary "Lizzie" (Gates) Caldwell.

Martha died on January 29, 1966 in Macon, Bibb County, Georgia.

"Minnie" was what my great-great grandmother always went by, both in person and on paper. I only discovered her true name when I found an entry my late grandmother had made in the family tree section of my mother's baby book.

I ordered a copy of Martha's death certificate to see if it would have provided any information, but the informant, my great-grandmother Bessie Mae (Caldwell) Carroll, apparently didn't know who her maternal grandparents were. Someone once told me to try seeing if Martha may have filed for Social Security, since one is supposed to list their parents if known, but she apparently didn't.

Physically, Martha was four feet and ten inches tall. She'd straight strawberry-blonde hair and hazel eyes. The only information I know about her ancestry is that she was supposedly part-Creek Indian; someone in the family had twenty-two children; one of her ancestors wore a tall hat in which he kept his money because he didn't trust the bank with it.

The aforementioned Bessie Mae (Caldwell) Carroll was the only one of Martha's eleven children to survive to adulthood. I've copies of death certificates for a brother William "Bill, Billy" Caldwell who died at five years old and an unnamed son who lived for only a day. Bessie also allegedly had a sister named Elizabeth who died at three years old.

If anyone can shed light on this genealogical brick wall, it'd be most appreciated! It's been a question that's gone unanswered for the past forty-six years. Please reply here or contact me at jacobcarpenter@zoho.com if wanted.

Jaocb Carpenter
jacobcarpenter@zoho.com

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions